running silk thread - advice?

I plan to use the Superior Silk Thread on a custom quilt. I'll be using my Libby, doing a dense background fill. I need some advice. The cone is tiny tiny tiny. Since it is a cone I expect it goes on the back. The smallest needle I have is a 3.5 so I hope that will work. I will be using BottomLine in the bobbin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!! This quilt is an important one and I don't want to get frustrated.... Expect lose tension will cause some whipping since this is a very thin thread?

Kathy, I haven't used silk thread, but have used some 100 wt. on my George. Can you tape some fishing pole thread guides on your machine to help control the thread whipping? I have added them to George and it has been very nice with all the threads I have used. The guides are quite inexpensive, be sure to get the ceramic lined ones (last longer, better) I have about 3 on mine. Midway between the two 3 hole guides, one up from the L bracket, and another one on the way down to the needle.

Hope it works well for you.

I haven't used silk thread before. Whenever I try out an unfamiliar thread I like to test it on a practice piece before heading for a quilt top. That way I know if I if I'm going to have any problems. I have one beautiful cone of purple rayon that simply will not work on my machine--think it might be too fragile.

Silk is supposed to work well. You might also try one of those thread cone nets if you are having issues with your thread slipping off the cone or whipping too much as it's coming off.

Hi Kathy:

We're using the silk quite a bit on our George machines...the Superior thread is thicker than the YLI (although they're both labeled 100 weight) but they both run fine if you slow down. If you find that breakage is an issue, you can use Sewer's Aid or mineral oil on the thread. I usually use the same thread in the bobbin but the Bottom Line should work as well. Diane Gaudyinski uses silk often on a domestic machine with 50 weight cotton in the bobbin. I would suggest a finer needle, though. The thin silk thread won't fill in the holes left behind by the 3.5 needle. Good luck...let us know how it works for you, Nancy in Tucson

Archived