Marvy disappearing ink pen by Uchida

Has anyone had any luck finding or purchasing this pen retail through a mail order supplier? I took a look at checkers and it seems that they are wholesale only.

I've been using a "green" pen that I found at a long arm supply store in San Diego, thequiltedrose.com, after hearing that it washed out even after they ironed on it. It was only $1.50 but I don't know the name of the brand, it wasn't on the pen. It did wash out, leaves a nice fine line, but I found that it wasn't as easy to see as the brighter blue pens. They told me they've been selling it for about a year now with no problems.

Oh, before I forget, I saw an article in the current issue of Quilter's Home on about a half dozen or so marking pens which they tested and rated in case anybody was interested.

Thanks.

Kathy

Kathy what is checkers website name for I can buy wholesale [wish I could find someone to buy patterns from at wholesale price ] oh well thats another matter all together,

for when Sherri Rogers talked about this pen on this forum , she said it could be bought at checkers so I tried that www.checkers.com all I got was a website for crackers . I to would like to know where to purchase this pen .

Sherri if you see this post let us know where to buy

Yes Kathy in I am interested in what you found out in Quilters home . My email is curriercarol@hotmail.com

Thanks

What is it you are looking for about this pen? This is the pen I referred to in another post that Ronda introduced to me. I know of no other source then to order them from Checkers or by the direct from the company in mass quanitys. You can go to www.uchida.com and look for retailers in the state you live in. I will have my order soon and you will be able to get them from me as well if you chose.

I am also be carrying the Marvy pens at Quilting on the Animas. I too am awaiting my supply. Seems this pen has become very popular in the last couple of months. I heard about it from a client in Florida.

I do not have my website up. But anyone who is interested can email me at:

quiltingontheanimas@msn.com.

Have a great evening!

Sonja Hammond

Quilting on the Animas

970-259-2732

Thanks Sonja, in case anyone wanted to take a look to get more product info. online, here is some more information on it that I found through HGTV.

Copied from the HGTV website:

disappearing marking pen-Uchida (Model #: 422)

The specially compounded erasable ink, available in pink and lavender plus white (eraser), disappears in several days or immediately when gone over with the eraser tip.

UCHIDA of America Corp.

Torrance, CA

Toll-free Phone: 800-541-5877

Fax: 800-229-7017

E-mail: marvy@uchida.com

They are calling it the "erasable fabric marker" on the uchida.com website.

Here is a link to some photos:

http://uchida.com/what/art/fab.htm

Here are the product specs from their website:

Specially compounded erasable ink. Acid Free/ Nontoxic Pen Tip: bullet-shaped point, built-in erasable tip.

Applied ink color will disappear in several days or go over it with the eraser tip to remove immediately .

Wow, I can hardly wait to order one, this looks great!!!

Carol,

Quilter's Home Magazine did an informal survey of 400 people, actually, the editor of the magazine, Mark Lipinski, did the survey through his Yahoo Group site (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pickleroadstudio/) on which marking pens quilters prefer and why. And then he assembled a group of "close, trusted, and knowledgable friends" to put to the test 15 different types of marking pens, and pencils.

I'm not sure how much I trust the results, since the magazine gets paid to write about content in their articles from advertisers and never disclose that to the reader, so keeping that in mind, here are their top rated markers:

1.) EZ Quilting Washout Marking Pencil

2.) Dritz Washable Wonder Marker

3.) Clover Chacopen Blue with Eraser

4.) Clover's Mechanical Pencil for Sewing/Quilting

There was a pen on the list I had never heard of called the Inglis Flourescent Marking Pencil which works with a black light - they gave it poor ratings.

Kathy

Patty,

The Quilted Rose in San Diego, Ca. told me that the "green pen" that you can supposedly even iron on and still wash out is made by uniball. I went to the uniball website and couldn't find anything specifically mentioned about the pen. If you want to give them a call, their number is 800-660-8282. I can testify to it washing out but haven't tried ironing on it, yet! The Quilted Rose told me they've been selling it for about a year now. I tried doing a Google search on it and couldn't find any more information on it that way either.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

I use these almost exclusively when I mark as i go, my Mom carries them in her Quit Shop, "Janes Fabric Patch" in Tillamook, Oregon you can email her at fabric@pacifier.com.

I sent one to my dear friend Sherry and she is just as hooked as i am , do not get the pink or white ones as they do not work. I have also heard that you can iron over the marks and they will still disappear but am not brave enough to attempt this, I do use the oink one at my DSM when I piece and have ironed over the marks and it disappears. The pink does not last as long as the purple.

I got one each of the colors to try them out, and man the pink one was a waste of money. (Or at least for me) I live in a very high humidity area (50% - 65% most days) and the pink one was disappearing faster than I could mark with it....for the lower humid areas this one will work fine, but for me NOPE NOPE...

The white one was better, but not as good as the Clover white inked pen that we can get...it will work, but not as well as the other brand.

The purple one I just loved....I marked something and with my high humidity it was still there several hours later....still would not be a well working devise for someone who wants to mark a WHOLE quilt and then roll on a machine...I'm not sure how well the marks will last in that application. However I found that it was a good marking tool for marking as I went....stayed on the fabric long enough for each block to be sewn and disappeared completely. Only down fall was it wasn't something that can be seen on medium to darker fabrics....bummer.

For low to medium humdity areas I think that these pens will be a greater hit than the blue marking pens we have been using...they disappear completely and so far haven't seen any reappearing marks like the blue pen sometimes does, but I have only had them for a week.

My thumb is up with appoval...and its something I will purchase again.

Nee How! That means hello in Chinese! I am back at least in body from China although I am sure I could sleep for at least another 4 days! My order of the Marvy temporary marking pens arrived while I was gone and I just managed to add them to my webpage. I am certain that will be all that I accomplish for the day but will be writing all about my trip of a lifetime in the near future.

Archived