free motion quilting question

For all you expert free motion quilters, this one is for you! I am wondering how you get your free motion designs to be so perfectly spaced apart without any marking on the quilt top at all. I saw a quilt the other day that I swore was done by a computer, and was told it was all done free hand. :P

I've never been very good at free hand drawing so I'm wondering if taking drawing classes would help.

Is repetitive practice on a line drawing first key to mastering this technique, ie. just memorizing the correct feeling with the motions that you make to get your design just right, every time you repeat it all over your quilt?

Also, I have a hard time just seeing what I'm doing because the shape of my machine (a Bernina) impairs my field of vision, so much so that unless I mark the top, its difficult to get a nice free motion all over design going because there are alot of blind spots while I'm working. I cannot seem to be able to guestimate and make good judgements about distance between lines, curves, etc., because its difficult to see the entire surface of the area I am quilting on. :o

For anyone who has switched from a domestic machine to a long arm, did your free motion work become better when you began quilting on a frame, and if so, can you tell me what specifically made the difference for you? :)

Thanks so much for anybody that wants to reply.

Sincerely,

Kathy

Let's see if I can answer this for you. First off you aren't saying if you have a 153 quilter edition or newer Bernina or is it an older one. Each has a different sized opening so that helps to know. Also with a Bernina you might want to get one of the plastic gizzmos that tips the machine just a bit so you can see under the presser foot a bit better. Or get something that will raise up the back about 1 to 2 inches.

Also you aren't mentioning if you have the flat extention table or not...if you don't, get it, that will help a little, you can't balance your quilt if you don't have it.

With that said, I also have found that Bernina's are the hardest for me to get a good stipple or meander on. They (in my opionion) don't have a good stitch...with you pulling on the fabric and the machine stationary....your pulling agains the hook and not all of the Berninia's have good hook asembles...the 530 has the all steel hook and bobbin, but some of the embroidery combos don't.

You asked how we get our free motion designs to be so perfectly spaced apart.....that's a whole bunch of practice and with tons of practice you get results. There are many of us (me not to be included in this) make their free hand even better than a computer. Try marking them and in time you will be able to just do them....I don't think a drawing class will help, but then it might....just keep practicing with a pencil on paper...Get Darlene's books or get Sherry's book, they are both great and in time it will all fall together for you.

Now did my free hand become better with my longarm verses my domestic machine....I wouldn't say better off the bat it does take tons of practice, but the practice was easier because you are pulling and pushing the machine head not the fabric through the pressure foot...that in itself is a big difference.

It sounds like you haven't played at a show with the big machines...you much do that first before you can even begin to compare the two...they are like apples and oranges.

Thanks Bonnie, I'm not familiar with the plastic gizmo you refer to, do you recall the name for that?

Also, can you let me know which books you are referring to?

I had a sense that over time your body memorizes the motion that you make to perform this little ditty on your quilts to get them looking computer perfect. Thanks for confirming my hunch! I imagined that some people are more naturally gifted while others have to work harder at it to get the same results, I being in the later category myself!

Biggest help for me is doodling on a dry erase board. I doodle while watching TV and I won't go to the machine until I can doodle what I want to quilt with my eyes closed.

I teach free motion on a DSM and my preference is to have people lower in their chairs so they can see behind the needle. Practice on a muslin with contrasting thread so you can see it better. Then doodle on the musling with a marker and that will help you get the rhythm.

I alsways say my LA did not make me a good quilter, it made me a faster quilter...........

I just love free motion quilting and had been at it for about 7 years before I got my longarm. Moving up to a longarm there were a few things that changed......................I am now moving the machine instead of the fabric. I can go lots faster. It is much easier to move the machine but this is not always better.

I think the longarm is easier but it is becaue it is easier on my body and faster, not easier to draw.

I do not recomend drawing classes..............................unless they will be doing only continuous line drawings like you would on a quilt. If you can find a doodling class then that would me more the thing.

For improving drawing (freemotion quitling is just drawing with thread) I suggest paper and pencil, or a dry erase board or something like that. Draw your design enough times and your brain will memorize it. Remember that you are moving the whole arm not just your hand or fingers when you draw.

When you are at the machine do not think about where the needle is right now but where is is going..........................think ahead and jsut flow with it. If you get off by a little just ignore and keep at it.

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Thanks so much for the great advice! I will try the dry erase board idea and try to memorize one simple all over design motif and see what happens. Contrasting thread for practice, I hadn't thought of that, great idea! I can see how I was getting into trouble staying too focused on where the needle is and not enough on where I need to go - I can imagine that part becomes easier on a long arm because you have greater visibility. I've only done all over stippling, which is a very easy and forgiving free-motion design, any wobbles or squiggles can look like they are part of the design, but with headbands, etc. its a whole different story. Thanks so much for letting me know about your experiences with changing to a longarm, that was really helpful! :P

I got one of those kids' magnadoodles, as I'm too lazy to keep wiping the ink off the dry erase board. There are also some boards designed by Sharon Welsh (the lady who makes Miracle Chalk) that are quick erase things. You can buy them at Columbia River Quilting.

Linda

Kathy,

The plastic gizmo....sorry I drew a blank last night is called a Tilt'able and can only be purchased through a sewing machine dealer...the website for them is http://www.tiltable.com and they have a button so you can find a dealership in your area....if you can't find one....let me know and I will get you a rep from my end of the world.

here is a picture of the table without a machine on it...they are make and model specific.

Here it is again with a machine on it and used with a special order table called Sew Steady....also purchased from a dealership. As far as the books go...they are from some of our talented people here on the chat....

Darlene Epp at http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com

and

Sherry Rogers-Harrison http://www.sewfarsewgood.com

I have both of their works and they have been a great help to me...

I just posted to the Gadgets & Gizmos forum, but since we're talking freehanding here, I may as well put the information here too.

The Pocket Guides to Freehanding have been redesigned (still the same patterns) and are hot off the presses. You can go here to read about them. After 5+ years, they're still selling like hot cakes at a fair. I'm the most surprised of all, because I DON'T DRAW!

http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com/PocketGuidesToFreehanding.htm

Listen!If *I* can freehand, YOU can freehand!!! I promise you that. You do NOT need "drawing" lessons. I still can't draw, BUT I've trained my brain and hands together to make "SHAPES" that LOOK like drawing. Do you know that a "Daisy" is just a "lazy S" for the stem, into a "circle" for the center, surrounded by several "arches"! Now how easy is that! LOL You need to find the word that works for YOUR brain when you tell it to quilt a certain "thing". Break it down into the shapes. I tell people I don't quilt "things", I just quilt "shapes".

The Pocket Guides to Freehanding guide you first through Meanderings, then Texures & Fillers, and then Borders & Sashings. Start with the Meanderings book, and progress page by page, each skill building on the one before it. By the time you get to the end of the Meanderings book you'll be doing a lovely "Branched" Flora and Fauna Meander. There are arrowed instructions for forming each part of the design, until you get further on in the books and already know how to form a particular shape. Then there are arrowed instructions for the new spapes.

Next start on the Textures & Fillers book. Then the Borders & Sashings. You'll find many of the designs will coordinate with each other, so you get a "cohesive" look to the quilt, repeating a shape or motif, but in a different format.

Sherry Rogers-Harrison http://www.sewfarsewgood.com

I have both of their works and they have been a great help to me...

Thank you Bonnie for the wonderful testamonial on my book! Just wanted to let you know that my website is a .org NOT a .com

I am also going out of the country beginning friday the 15th and will not return until the 26th. Any items ordered between those dates will be processed upon my return.

非常感谢你; 多谢,非常感谢你常 (thak you ever so much, in Chinese)

Oh my gosh, I can't thank you enough, from the bottom of my heart, I've been struggling with this all summer long, these ideas are so great! Bonnie, that is the coolest thing I've ever seen and had no idea it existed, the photo was so helpful! Darlene and Sherry, thank you so much for the encouragement and references to your books. I'll order them asap! Thank you Linda! I love your quilts!!!! They keep me inspired every day!

• 3 weeks later...

Lorrie,

Thank you so much for that great tip! I went to take a look at the Sew Steady table and was in sticker shock when I looked at the price considering its only plastic! I'll definitely give the rubber wedge door stopper idea a try! Someone who owns one of these tables told me that they are great for piecing, but not for quilting. I thought I would just mention, in case anyone might find this information helpful, I just bought Karen McTavish'es book, Mastering the Art of McTavishing and she recommends "Magnistitch" - a small magnifying glass that you can mount to your machine and swivel in front of the needle, as needed, to bring your work up to you. Its only $1.00. I don't know how good the quality of the glass is for that price, but I've also seen a very expensive, high quality craft lamp with magnifier for $300 by a company called Dazor.

Kathy

Kathy,

I don't know if I agree with the person who said the Sew Steady Tables are only okay with piecing, but they didn't like it for quilting.....I have used mine off and on for YEARS. It makes a great difference with the quilt getting to heavy and dragging and it really makes a huge difference with the quilt draping when trying to meander something and it wasn't there.

I'm sorry Kathy, when I got mine it was only $65.00 how much more have they gone up....Do you have anyone who can cut 1/2 inch plexy-glass, you just need to do an outline of your sewing machine and cut it out. Router the edges and you can get the legs at the local hardware store...its a bit less, but the hardest part is getting someone to cut the glass.

ME I cheated I sunk my machine into a table so I don't have to hassle with it unless I have to take it a class that I am teaching free motion.

The magnify glass that you were mentioning can also be purchased at some sewing machine dealerships and Joann's, and yes, the do work well...I have gotten so that I can't really see dark colors anymore and it make a huge difference.

I hope you can get where things aren't a hassle for you...I know how hard it is to enjoy something if its a mess and you just don't feel in control...Good luck and happy quilting.

Thanks Bonnie, for your note. I guess everyone has a different experience. If there is one thing I've learned, there really is no one right way to quilt because so many things are a matter of personal preference. I think we all end up doing what works, whatever that turns out to be. The gal I spoke to said she felt it was easier to quilt with a cabinet as opposed to the sew steady table, so I think that is close to what you do?

No hassles at the moment really, just looking for ways to optimize the experience!

Thanks again for your help! I'll still keep it in mind and keep exploring options.

Kathy, perhaps a little chalk was used in the freehand design. There are two great books by Pam Clarke, called "Design With Lines, Basic 8-Line Sketchbook 1-A and 1-B". My mentor recommended I buy the stencil NA-1887 or NA-1959 which is just plastic with holes in it in a radiating pattern that sections a square block into eight pie shapes and you can pounce some chalk through it to give you some easily removable guidelines after stitching. Then choose some of her designs or do your own on a dry erase board or doodle paper. One illustration has the finished design and another has arrows to show where to stitch in sequence. This seems to make it look easy. Go to www.homestitches.com to look at the supplies and you'll like working with these folks. My mentor says that no two quilts she does for clients are the same since she draws inspiration from the quilt itself (auditioning), reviews some printed ideas, then designs something special. She also can charge more for her work since it is custom (usually about $250 or so per queen quilt depending on complexity and thread). She has quite a following and a six month waiting list of customers for her longarm services. Maybe a longarm is in your future.

Vicki

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much Vicki, I'll get it a try. I've seen Pam Clarke's stencils and read an article on her method in a magazine once. Thanks for the great tip!

Have you seen Sherry's photoshow on auditioning the design? I like her technique of rehearsing quilting designs by placing them on upholstery fabric and laying on top of the quilt to see what looks best.

Kathy

In case anybody ever references this thread in need of help on free motion quilting on a dsm, I'm really happy to report that I'm pretty much in quilt nirvana today after giving all these gadgets a try. Here are the things that worked out really well for me on getting the ergonomics just right for free motion quilting:

1.) Rubber door stopper wedges ($5.00) They work, and they're awesome! They tilt my machine at an angle that allows me to SEE beyond the pressor foot, so I have a broader field of vision, plus, now my wrists are at a better angle and hurt MUCH less when I quilt.

2.) Sew Slip ($25.00) I found a new slip n slide surface for my table called "Sew Slip" which takes away all the drag and really helps the quilt to glide while free motion quilting. It has a tacky bottom so it adheres to my plastic sew steady table and doesn't shift underneath the quilt. It is extra large and works like a dream. I couldn't believe the difference.

http://www.sewslip.com/

3.) Fons and Porter Machine Quilting Grip Gloves ($3.49) - These gloves are made out of thin cotton, with micro grips, so you can get traction without alot of bulk. They are awesome!

4.) Magni Stitch ($10.00) - I was amazed at the quality of the magnifying lense on this little gadget. It turns out to be really useful for micro-stippling.

5.) I've been following along, studying what everyone has been talking about with thread for heirloom quilting and what a difference the thread does make! Then I had a very big lesson on bobbin tension. Once I learned how to adjust the bobbin tension, and not just the top tension, using Super Threads Bottom Line, made me sew happy!

I just wanted to give a very big thank you to Bonnie for your great, great tip on tilting the machine, my goodness, my hands thank you, my heart thanks you! Its made a huge difference for me!!!! :P

Kathy

Archived