How to pay for my machine

Jo-Anne

I am purchasing a used machine and having it shipped across the country where I will bring it into Canada. The seller would like to have payment in full in a cashiers cheque prior to shipping. I am uncomfortable with this. Does anyone have a better solution or is this the way it is always done?

Here is something that you can do. Pay only with a credit card. A credit card company is secure. Another solution would be for YOU to hire the shipping company and have them to go in and pack the freight and let you know when they are ready to walk out the door with it. Then you can send the money. Don't know what else to do.

Everything I have purchased used, I had to pay in full in advance. The check would clear (or credit card payment was confirmed) and then seller would mail the item. That is the usual way.

For a big item like this, I would want to be sure it worked before buying, but if I was the seller, I'd want my money before it left the state, let alone the country. You both are at risk if the other is not honest. You both have to be cautious. I'd suggest using a credit card or Paypal using a credit card.

Good luck!

I echo the good advice you have received here.

PayPal is safe, but I don't imagine your seller will like the fee, nor will you care to pay the extra unless there is no other way.

See if you can set up an escrow account at your bank--or see if her bank offers that service. That way when the money transfers, it is held until stipulations are met. You cannot access it and she won't be paid until you OK the funds transfer by accepting delivery of the machine in the condition stated on the invoice. Just a thought.

Credit unions will offer this service more cheaply than a national bank.

Archived