Monofiliment Nylon or Poly, opinions needed

Quilters Bobbin Central/Fil-tech is working on another project and would like your opinions, if you don't mind:

We are working on adding a .004mm size monofilament thread to the Bobbin Central lineup. Nylon monofilament is easier to locate and purchase, but I have heard that POLYESTER monofilament is often preferred due to its better heat resistance.

Questions

#1 - Is it a good idea to add a monofilament wound on a king spool? #2 - Does it matter if it is nylon or poly monofilament? #3 - If one is preferable, please give me some info on why.

Thank You

I will not use Nylon as its melting point is so low. It even has a warping point where it distorts before it melts so, I would not be inclined to purchase it. Sunlight and the dryer would be an enemy to nylon. We used to use all sorts of test equipment on fibers and nylon came in last most every time as having constantly less tensel strength. It seemed to stretch more often than others and its "drying point" was low. (That was when the nylon lost its softness and became more stiff and thus fragile). I know lots of embroidery folks like it but the wears they embroidery (like clothing) aren't meant to last several lifetimes like a quilt. I would recommend Poly every time.

Guest Linda S

Connie - I had always been of the opinion that poly was the better option because of it's high melt/burn temperature, but several years ago I tried Madeira's Monolon, which is their clear nylon thread. I use it almost exclusively for SID. I have a friend who's been in the longarming business much longer than I have and she quilted some of her kids' quilts with Monolon. They had been washed, dried, and dragged around for years and were just fine, so I decided to give it a go. I like it better than Monopoly, because it is less shiny.

I am looking forward to seeing what Fil-Tec comes out with. They have pretty much won me over with their threads and it would be nice to buy them all from one place. So, I guess I would say, there are big differences in the formulations for poly and for nylon. Some nylon threads melt at low temperature. I've not found that to be true of the Madeira.

Guest Linda S

Oh - I forgot to say -- the other reason I prefer the Madeira is because it's about as fine as frog's hair. Of course, with my old eyes, it can, at times be frustrating -- like when I'm trying to thread the needle, but it really becomes nearly invisible for SID.

Archived