hanging a quilt ?

If your planning on hanging a quilt what is the best way to have the seams on your backing, top to bottom or left to right? The quilt is about 75x87. It has some fullness too could you also give me some ideas on what batting works better for hanging & fullness combo :(

WOOL! It will not hold a crease and is puffy to take in some fullness. Or thin cotton with wool or QD Puff on top.

I would do back seams either way. It will be quilted down so it should not be an issue. I think.....maybe someone will chime in here. Like one of our resident experts!!

Terri,

I would probably run the lengthwise grain top to bottom. That way it should sag at all. As for battings my favorite is wool but if you are going to hang it use a cotton batting under it because wool can sag over time. My favorite combination for wallhangings is Quilters Dreampoly delux and wool. It hangs out really well and the wool lets the quilting shine!

For wall quilts that have some fullness - I love Quilters Dream puff. Or I use Warm & Natural for wall quilts - it is dense and holds its shape well.

The wool is my all time favorite, but save it for my bed quilts.

I don't think it makes a huge difference, which way the seams go on the back as the quilitng should hold everything in place!!

Great timing for this question! I'm going to quilt a wall hanging and thought I had the answer in my batting info, but nothing there indicated which battings to use for different situations. I have HOBBS on hand so called Lyn Heilman from http://www.quiltedmemoriesllc.com/ Lyn advised a batting with scrim. I don't have cotton on hand but she suggested 80/20 on the bottom with Polydown on top, so that's what I'm going to use. One of my concerns was sagging over time, but this combination should work well.

I agree with Heidi...run the lengthwise grain (parallel to the selvages) up & down for the most stability. I've also heard of some quilters who use a layer of wide muslin (no seams) between the batting and the backing to further stabilize wall quilts.

Archived