Bobbin Spring

Hi,

I am a brand new Millie owner. I've been quilting on the machine a few weeks and today decided to try quilting from the back. Not even halfway down the first row, the thread broke. When I pulled out the bobbin case to pull out a length of bobbin thread, the inner spring flew out.

Question: what is the right way to put the spring back into the case? There are notches on the top. Do they go to the right or left when looking into the case?

Thank you so much! Debra

I was able to get the spring back into the case. Thanks!

But, now the tension is a mess. The underside has loops. I've tried different bobbins and have done a little adjusting of the bobbin case screw. I hesitated to do that since the whole set up is practically brand new. I don't understand how the spring springing out of the case could have caused the tension to go awry. I was under the impression the spring was for backlash not tension. Maybe I am getting backlash?

Do I need to post a picture?

Thanks!

Sometimes when your thread breaks it messes up your threading. I would try rethreading the whole machine, take out the bobbin case and the bobbin, and reinsert the bobbin. Loops on the back are usually upper thread, sounds like your upper thread has jumped out of the tension disks.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I glanced at the top thread before but hadn't rethreaded. When I did that and did a practice run, my stitching was back to gorgeous!

My husband's solution was to have a new bobbin case overnighted in the morning! This was a much better solution.

Thanks again!

As an additional help to someone who might want to know about the spring in the bobbin case--it is explained on the maintenance DVD that comes with the machine. There is a small slot at the top of the case and the notched top of the spring slips in there. According to the DVD, there is only one way the spring will fit into the case.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Talking about bobbin spring, I have a question. What is the purpose of the bobbin spring?

I found out by accidently not having the bobbin spring in that I got better thread tension and I wasn't using Magna Glide prewounds.

Also has anyone had any problems with a bobbin that makes a lot of noise when the machine is running?

Thanks,

Carol Osburn

Millier with CQ

Amarillo, TX

The purpose of the bobbin spring is to stop the bobbin from continuing to unwind within the bobbin case when you stop sewing. It has its own inertia and will keep moving for a split second after you stop. This causes a small build up of bobbin thread on the back of your stitching.

The bobbin making a lot of noise could be caused if it is no longer round from having been dropped on a hard floor. Are you cleaning the bobbin case of lint with each bobbin change. Are you also oiling the bobbin area when you clean your machine?

Lyn

Archived