Civil War Sampler Suggestions Please

I have this quilt to do soon and I think I know what I'm going to do but suggestions are welcomed.

I have concern about the borders as I can see with the bias edge they already don't seem to be a perfect fit. I will probly have to float this one and cont to ease them in as I progress thru. I can see waves being an issue. I plan to stitch the outside edge to help with this. Any quilting ideas for the border are welcomed. I want to SID but not about the center of trianges yet. I will probly freehand this quilt and use a larger stitch than I usually do (not real large.)

Again send me your suggestions if you have one.

thanks, Grammie

What sort of quilting does your customer want? A more authentic treatment for quilts of this era would have been the baptist fan. If you had the Circle Lord, you could have this done in a day!

Linda

Not sure if this is a good idea, but what about asking the client if she could stitch an extra border around the entire outside edge (and when she does this, to trim the edges to help square up the bias edges)? I'm sure as a result, some of the points will end up getting cut off, but that might be better than having a wavy unsquared border as it is.

Just a thought...

PS: It's a gorgeous quit top. Lots and lots of work went into it.

:)

Shana

Thanks gals,

Linda I thought of that as well and even the clam shell but I know my client would not want me to go over the applique blocks.

I can't help myself. Samplers always tend to be the opportunity for freehand. I agree that I need to stay traditional or with the time of the quilt though.

It is for my local Quilt shop and will be hanging there so I want to do just a little extra I suppose. I think I will call her to see what she thinks. I do not have my hartley hooked up and my CQ Baptist fan has to be started just outside the space being quilting and I want to do something in the borders so that would't work and I don't want to do it with rulers. YUK. I was thinking I would echo the triangel shapes if the bias will cooperate.

I could do the clam shell though and then SID the borders if I can get it square which I think I can hopefully.

Of course I can't help but look at each section of the quilt and want to do something that suits that area. I always make things harder. I starting to love Freehand and I'm getting better at it finally. lololol

Tammie - I like the way you are thinking on this one - try and stay with

what would be traditional for the quilt. SID the border, or a little Baptist

fan around it would be great. I had a similar quilt, huge - but my customer

wanted to hand quilt it!!! I just basted it for her, going around all of the

applique. Every block had some sort of appliqe in it - 6" blocks!

I did this as an exchange with her - she made me about 300 yo-yo's - I call

her "The Yo-yo queen" she made these all the size of a quarter - and they

are perfectly round! Have fun with this one!

P.S. Did you take good care of that Cowboy already!! LOL!!

Archived