Ultimate II What to look at?

What to look for? Now that's the question of the day. I had one for 14 years. I must say that you should look at the table to make sure that it is in good condition. Make sure that the side clamp screws are in tact and not stripped out or worn. These are the screws that hold up the take up bar in the throat of the machine.

If it has a curly power cord than I would replace it with a straight cord. The curly cord always got in the way when I was quilting.

See if it has a stylist or a laser. A laser is what I would prefer. And see if it is hot wired to the machine or battery operated. You'll have to remember to turn it off if it's battery operated.

Like Joyce said, it has the same oil ports as the other machines.

Check and see if the thread guilds are in good condition and don't have grooves in them, because you'll be dealing with broken top thread if they do.

Look at the label on the motor and see what date the motor was made. This will tell you if you'll need to replace the motor in the future. Old motor old bearings old motor bushings. The bushings are an easy fix, but the bearings are a shot issue.

Lookat the hook and see if there are any nicks in it. Use your finger nail, your skin won't help you.

These are some of the main things that I look at. Good luck. Regards, zeke........................

Thanks Zeke, I guess it is pretty much like the newer APQS machines then, I had most of those things on my list to check. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some big technical/design change from the Ult II to my Freedom.

We are hoping to go look at it next week. My friend wants to try her hand at longarming, she thinks I will soon be too busy to do anything but her custom work (ha) , and a used machine at this price and here in Maine is just too good to not look at.

Leslie: Look at the extras that come with the machine. Edgerider wheels are a great addition. If it doesn't have them, you should consider replacing the APQS wheels. Cost about $170. If it happens to be upgraded with an I/S stitch regulator WOW! These are great machines, and with a little fiddling the tables can be great. She can't go wrong. Jim

Leslie: Is the machine you're considering the one Pam Davis has listed? If so, I see by the photo it does have Edgeriders, and a laser stylus. It also has an extended base, and it looks like the original spoon foot has been replaced with a ruler one. All nice upgrades. Looks like a great buy to me. Even if some of the things on Zeke's list don't measure up, they can all be repaired at reasonable cost, in fact I have a motor I would part with if that one's bad (I doubt seriously that would be the case)

Archived