Quilting applique

I'm working on a very large quilt with small/med/large hand applied applique. Customer wants me to "outline" it. My take on that is to take my Appliguide (thank you Deloa!) and truly outlining it along the edges of the applique. But....I have also been told that when going around the applique - you catch the outer edges.

What do ya'll do or recommend? Thanks!

Maybe you should ask your customer what she expects. Having said that, I go around the outside, as close to the edge as possible. Great hint from Sandra Leichner if you want the applique to puff without doing trapunto is to do the background fill FIRST before outlining the applique. This is totally contrary to what I was taught. Sandra's applique and quilting are something I admire! She has a great post with photos on her blog:

http://sandraleichner.com/wordpress/2009/08/17/how-i-machine-quilt-hand-applique/

Have fun! And yes, use your Appliguide!

I'll go check out her blog. This one - the ant alone is about two feet tall and I tried a fancier background - but stipple is the way I ended up going.

Thanks again for the info - I've always wondered about this and am outlining all the applique and stitching down specific areas.

Fun!

post--13461906312421_thumb.jpg

I remember being shocked at learning that this was the preferred way of outlining applique. I just "assumed" you started with the outlining. But when you stop to think about it, by stippling or whatever close to the edge, you are pushing the batting towards the applique.

Isn't it amazing when you find out something 180 degrees different from what you thought can still work?

My husband and I think like that - you couldn't find two more opposite persons, (something about opposites attracting ? ?) What amazes me most about living with him all these years is learning how many things can be done two different ways -- make that two completely opposite ways -- and end up with a positive result. This is an example of that principle.

To me, catching the applique with the outline stitching would be a boo boo.

Have any of you seen Sandra Leichner's book? Oh, my goodness...what a treasure trove of information. And some of the most beautiful patterns, too. I have been doing hand applique for a while now--seven years, LOL--and I learned several new things from her book. WELL worth the price if you are into applique!

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Appliqu%C3%A9-Embroidery-Sandra-Leichner/dp/1574326775/ref=as_li_wdgt_js_ex?&camp=212361&linkCode=wey&tag=sandraleichne-20&creative=380733

I was thinking the same thing, what keeps the shape from distorting if you are pushing the batting up against it? I have always outlined the shape to keep the shape and then gone back and done the background and the more the fill the background, the more the shape poofs up...I'll have to try this method sometime.

Well, that does sound interesting.................but before I try it on a full sized quilt, I think I will try it tonight on a wall hanging that I just finished piecing. It has flowers and lettering that I machine appliqued on it. Not sure how "poofy" it will get though since I am going to use the light weight batting............oh well, it will be a good experiment to see what happens. :)

Archived