Quilt pictures on the web....

One of the gals who LA's in our area had an interesting situation happen to a picture she posted on her website. The quilt was an original design of the maker and the quilting was custom. My understanding is the LAer had permission to take a picture, but I am not clear as to if there was an understanding that this picture would be on her website or if there was permission to post it on the web...I also understand there is a copyright notice on her web site on the front page. Anyway, a group downloaded the picture and are using it for their logo, cards, etc. The way this was discovered was a member in the group call the quilt owner asking if the quilt was for sale. Needless to say, the onwer is not happy as the group who is using it is making money off of it from my understanding.

I don't know what the outcome of this situation will be as it has just occured in the past 2 weeks and things are up in the air.

The point I am trying to make is if you use a picture of a customer's quilt on a website...make sure you have permission...copyright the picture somehow (especially if it is an original design) and hope for the best since people are not always honest.

I think under the picture you can just state that there is a copyright with the year and the month...not sure...does anyone know?

That's all...

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Here we go getting our knickers in a twist again over

copyright issues.

We don't have enough trouble with copyright infringement??

If people would just use common sense and good manners,

there wouldn't be all this ire and angst about copyrights.

What's next? It makes me wonder if somebody isn't going

to try to copyright a loop or circle or star so they can protect their work. Grrrr :mad:

Well, I think that the quilter who posted the photo without

permission and the group that passed the work off as its

own should be lined up and have pattern designers pelt

them with wet sponges until they get a clue.:):D

That is my 2 cents worth.

I think common sense and good manners have hit an all time low. Many people just don't care and figure they will never get caught.

Whether this LA'er had permission to post the picture...I don't know, but she did have permission to take the picture.

I just wanted to mentioned that this has happened so we can be aware to protect our clients and watch out for their best interest.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I've read a little bit about the "Creative Commons" copyright that was created specifically for the web. Here is a URL if you'd like to read up on it:

http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/

Choosing a License

Offering your work under a Creative Commons license does not mean giving up your copyright. It means offering some of your rights to any member of the public but only on certain conditions.

What conditions? You can find an overview of the Creative Commons licenses here. All of our licenses require that you give attribution in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Attribution. You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work ? and derivative works based upon it ? but only if they give credit the way you request.

Example: Jane publishes her photograph with an Attribution license, because she wants the world to use her pictures provided they give her credit. Bob finds her photograph online and wants to display it on the front page of his website. Bob puts Jane's picture on his site, and clearly indicates Jane's authorship.

Our core licensing suite will also let you mix and match conditions from the list of options below. There are a total of six Creative Commons licenses to choose from our core licensing suite.

Noncommercial. You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work ? and derivative works based upon it ? but for noncommercial purposes only

Examples: Gus publishes his photograph on his website with a Noncommercial license. Camille prints Gus' photograph. Camille is not allowed to sell the print photograph without Gus's permission.

No Derivative Works. You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it.

Example: Sara licenses a recording of her song with a No Derivative Works license. Joe would like to cut Sara's track and mix it with his own to produce an entirely new song. Joe cannot do this without Sara's permission (unless his song amounts to fair use).

Share Alike. You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.

Note: A license cannot feature both the Share Alike and No Derivative Works options. The Share Alike requirement applies only to derivative works.

Archived