Ruler-Mate plates

There's been a lot of conversation here in the past about how Donita Reeve's Ruler Mate extended plate works (or sometimes doesn't work) with the APQS machines with thread cutters. Now, there is a solution: discovered by Mike Mayfield (DH of BarbM) when Barb & Mike were here in Hawaii. Hitomi & I have the same plates for our Millies, & were having identical problems: the cutter would jam if placed as instructed, without washers; with washers it sits too high, and sometimes comes loose, causing the needle to break.

If you are having these problems, check the underside of the plate, in the middle of the thread cutter portion. Mike discovered a tiny burr, barely noticeable, on both our plates. This is just big enough to jam the cutter. Sand it off, and problem solved! Since it was exactly the same for both plates, it must be something about the way the plate is tooled, but the fix is quick & easy.

I just got my ruler mate and the cutter did get stuck. But what I am more worried about is I couldn't get the needle hole lined up so the needle would go in to the hole centered in the middle. It was off to one side and I was afraid that if the needle bend ever so slightly it would hit the side of the hole and break. Should I be concerned. I took the ruler mate off.

Originally posted by CWBowser

I just got my ruler mate and the cutter did get stuck. But what I am more worried about is I couldn't get the needle hole lined up so the needle would go in to the hole centered in the middle. It was off to one side and I was afraid that if the needle bend ever so slightly it would hit the side of the hole and break. Should I be concerned. I took the ruler mate off.

I would contact the person you purchased this from for a solution

Charlotte...Shana gives good advise. I wonder if all ruler mates are the same, or slightly different for different machines. Did you buy it directly from Donita or from someone that no longer needed the base? If there is a problem with it, Donita might be able to help you.

I bought a ruler mate about 2 years ago and simply love mine. I do take it off when doing pantos or my CL long boards because it does not slide under my top bar. I could raise the bar, but too lazy. Instead I take the base off and use that occasion to clean the area. I also have a Hartley base. I sometimes use that, but mostly use the ruler mate. I also don't have a thread cutter, so that problem doesn't come into play for me.

I found that my needle broke when I used the Ruler mate while doing a panto. So I took it off too. Barbara Mayfield raised my top bar and I can get the Ruler Mate right underneath with no problem. It's not that hard to raise the bar (I was surprised). I am still trying to get used to my rulers but I'm sure with practice, I'll be a pro like all of you. I think I press TOO hard on the rulers so the machine is a bit hard to move around and I can't hold the rulers still when quilting. What's the trick to that?

Originally posted by Hitomi

....... I think I press TOO hard on the rulers so the machine is a bit hard to move around and I can't hold the rulers still when quilting. What's the trick to that?

Practice. :)

Really you just get the feel for the right amount of pressure;;; not too much, not too little... Just go slow and steady and CONCENTRATE!

We removed my thread cutter on my Millie a year after I bought my machine and installed the ruler mate, one of the best investments since I do a lot of SID? In the beginning, I sprayed the back of the ruler a bit of sullivans spray adhesive to keep it steady while stitching.

There are no tricks, just like Shana said, practice, slow and steady and lots of patience.

Corey

Archived