Quilting Question on Embroidery/Crazy Quilt

Just received two quilts with embroidery blocks . The embroidery design is about 6" across. Attached is a picture of the quilt with the embroidery centers. I planned to ask the owner if I should put some quilting inside of the embroidery circle. Assume you would outline around the design like you do applique? Any suggestion for quilting on the rest of th quilt. I think I have seen feathers but I have not mastered feathers yet.

2nd question. A row quilt with one row of crazy quilting blocks. All the pieces are embellished with fancy stitching, loose lace doily. It is a 12" row.

post--13461906399087_thumb.jpg

I would also do some outlining inside the embroidery and then I would make a circle on the outer edge of the embroidery and make a feathered wreath in the background fabric. Practice drawing on paper for a long while and I bet you can do those feathers. Drawing really helps. How about cc-ing the little squares?

Jess

Yes, I like the idea of stitching a circle around the embroidery. You could also stitch two concentric circles, leaving a 1/4 inch space between the two circles. You can fill out to the edges of the blocks with feathers or a fill if you are not comfortable with feathers. You are going to need to put some quilting inside the embroidery. You can outline the inner flower, and outline inner edge of the brown heavier embroidered flower. If you use a fine thread, the outlining will barely show, only texture. I use Bottom Line a lot for this kind of thing.

Archived