Spirals

I have a customer quilt that has a small spiral pattern in the backing fabric. She would like for me to do a spiral quilting on the quilt. Since I am new to this whole thing, and have not encountered this before, I decided to go the the experts!! That's you all!! I have a Hartly Fence, is there a way to do spirals with that, or do I need a ruler for spirals, a pantograph, my own drawing....help!!:)

Thanks,

Mary Beth

I did a bulls-eye quilt and needed to follow the bulls eyes on the top to stitch the spirals. I'm afraid it just may be an issue of pracitce and machine control. I thought my spirals were ok but not great. I wish there had been something like the circle lord we could attach to our Hartley Fence to do the spirals. Is that a possibility? Since we have the attachments, can't they make templates? I know the Hartley Fence does have some templates, is one of them a spiral?

The spirals are finished. I bit the bullet and did the spirals freehand. I did find a "ruler" in the Robs Rulers web site for $40, but to use on one quilt did not seem cost worthy. The spirals are on a child's quilt so whimsey is the key and it is a good thing - 'cause they are quite whimsical. Thanks for your input.....I hope the Hartley Fence people are reading your ideas....

You can accomplish a sort of "spiral" design using the Hartley Fence like this:

Each time you complete a circle with the circlemaker, loosen the knob holding the circlemaker onto the Fence (leave everything else right where it is) and rotate the circlemaker clockwise. Work another circle. Rotate again clockwise and work the next circle. By the time you work all the way around the "clock" you'll have a perfect spiral design. The important part of working these spirals is that you keep the spacing between the circles or the distance you're rotating the circlemaker even all the time so that the spiral is evenly spaced. The closer the spacing is, the more intricate the spiral and vice versa. Try it and let me know how it works for you. I'm not certain that this is the type of "spiral" design you're looking for, but it looks awesome on the quilt!

Let me know what else I might do to help!

Archived