Quilting ideas needed!! w (Finished Borders Added)

Wow, so many good suggestions!! I know I have my work cut out for me for sure. I hope to get started on it this weekend. Wish me luck!! No one mentioned the outer border, would Piano keys or the double lines like wainscoating be good for that border?

My thought on the border is that piano keys or beadboard will be too angular for the border. You have so many horizontal/vertical lines in the piecing you may not want more in the border. With that pretty Koi fabric, and if you are outlining fabric motifs in the blocks, outline the fish and use an overall like water in the background of the border fabric. If that proves to be distracting, just quilt a watery overall in the border to match the density in the rest of the top. Just my random thoughts!:)

I love this quilt. I recognize all the fabrics. You and I must be fabric soul mates. LOL.

I saw an oriental quilt similar to this quilted with an all over design in gold thread and it looked like a panto of a large apple blossom flower in two different sizes with a couple of leaves or swirls...can't remember. I wouldn't have thought about doing it that way, but it was BEAUTIFUL.

I'll see if I have a pic and attach it. This is a pretty "up close" pic of it so I could make out the panto. Actually, it blended into the quilt pretty much.

post--13461906569156_thumb.jpg

Thanks Oma

That really is pretty isn't it. I can see the flowers but they do blend in nicely. If I wasn't thinking of entering it in our quilt show I would very much rather do an all over design, but for the show I think I will take the time to do custom. Good to know it would be lovely either way.

Yes, the orientals are some of my favorite fabrics, or just anything with a touch of sparkle in it.

Jeanne,

All the Asian Quilts I quilted with Filtec Khaki and matching magna glide bobbin thread, it has this quality that blends yet has a sheen that looks like very light gold. I am very pleased with the result, I used YLI invisible thread for all the SIDS.

I discovered this color of thread when I took the classes from Karen McTavish in Julian, CA last year, we went home with sample and I have been ordering it regularly ever since because it was so versatile.

Corey

Archived