Grease Gear Box???

I cleaned my machine today--long overdue. Used the WD-40, and then oiled. Put a new needle in and it made a clicking noise. Have since changed the needle and the clicking noise is gone, but the machine has been loud. I was at a workshop this weekend, and it was suggested that I may need to grease the gear box underneath the machine. What type of grease do I use?? And, how do I go about this process??

Thanks. Laura

Laura: You get the gear grease from APQS. You have to take the machine off, turn it upside down, remove a couple of screws (maybe . . can't remember what's under there), pack more grease in, poke it with a screw driver or something to get the grease all down in the air pockets. Then you have to seal the plate with something . . silicone or something.

Call Connie or Mark and they can give you all the details.

We have had the same difficulty with the gear box on our Millennium having to be refilled. Connie and Mark thanks much for you assistance with this. We have had to repack it on more than one occasion as for some "unknown" reason Milli wants to leak every now and then around the gear shaft opening on the bottom (just below the hook assembly). We always recognize when it needs to be redone as it gets a little noisy in the gears. Whatever the reason the repacking works; it's just a nuisance! Any ideas why it keeps loosing gear box grease?

Jean: I think you'll know when you need to tend to this. My Ult. I got very noisy after a year or so of use. I called APQS and Mark explained to me that possibly because it had been shipped during September, the grease had settled or oozed out during shipping. He sent me some grease and I was going to call him about how to get it into the machine after I received the grease. By the time I mustered the courage to tackle the project, the machine had quietened down. We assumed there was a bubble and it rectified itself.

The machine was never LOUD but just seemed a bit more loud than it had been.

I used it for several more years (LOTS of use) and never had a problem with it.

I think (not an expert here!) that every machine is different -- feels different, sounds different, behaves differently. When at the shows, I've played around on an Ult. I or Freedom or Millennium . . whatever I was used to at home, and the other machines always feel different and sound different.

If you don't already know, you will soon learn what's *right* for your machine. You'll know right off the bat when something isn't right -- a strange noise, a thump or bump or jerk that is out of character.

It's kinda like your own child . . I can usually tell as soon as I see my son after school if he's had a good day. (If he speaks to me, something's bad wrong! If he smiles, we go straight to the ER!)

So, my advice is get to know your machine and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I believe if your machine needs grease, you'll definitely know it.

• 3 weeks later...

That was awesome. My new Millie sounded like loose ball bearings rolling around inside. Yucky...read about greasing the gear box, Connie sent me some, did it today...how amazing. This is more like the machine I expected ;)

Mine was delivered in August in Las Vegas...probably got a little hot prior to delivery. As soon as I stuck in the screwdriver a big air bubble popped...wowee. Anyhow...thanks so much. This makes a world of difference.

Archived