Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy

Guest Linda S

I have to admit that I don't watch much TV at all and don't get the big network channels (I have a satellite). On which network will this be aired? Monday is an unfortunate night to air a woman's program when so many sports fans watch football.

Linda

I plan on watching it too or at least taping for later. There was a good movie on a couple days ago (also Lifetime) starring Lindsay Wagner, about a young man dealing with breast cancer in four women in his life. Interesting perspective from the male side (although males get it too). Scary too when you see it reaching out and grabbing each woman within a family.

Guest Linda S

Actually, I watched a little of it and was greatly dismayed. I had to shut it off. How many women do you know who face a mastectomy and go to a strip club and watch and wonder how much power over men they will lose? I have had three benign lumps removed over the last several years, so I am not talking through my hat here. I didn't think this was very realistic.

Just my opinion.

Linda

I did watch the show, and I was greatly moved. I didn't think that I would be one to go to a strip club either, but when people go through something like this, everyone does it differently. When I lost my Dad, I reacted in a way that my sister said was disrespectful toward his memory, and I thought that he would have enjoyed it as he and I had a simular way of looking at things, so you just never know. And I think the character was really unsure of herself on how to decide which treatment to choose. If you are secure with yourself, then I would rather gather the data on what the stats were for each type of treatment. It was an eye opener for me as I've been very fortunate. But for Linda and others out there who have gone through the possibility of cancer with biopsys & lumpectomys, I'm sure that this show brought back some old fears and thoughts. I thank my Lord everyday for my health and hopefully will not have to experience this in my lifetime, but the stats say it is a possibility. Anyway, just my thoughts on the show.

Archived