Quilting question!

Guest Linda S

No stupid questions! Just because the pieces are smaller doesn't necessarily mean you have to quilt a small design. Unless, of course, your piecer didn't do a good job and you need to nail them all down. Generally your design is dictated on what would go nicely with the quilt and the space between the motifs is determined by how closely your batting needs to be quilted.

Maybe also by how much the cusomter is willing to pay, as the closer/smaller pattern will take longer and use more thread.

Whereas an open or larger design will stitch quicker and use less thread.

I have different levels for E2E /Pantographs based on how big they are/ or complexity.

Lyn

Great question!

With overalls, it is not so crucial that the scale of the design matches the size of the pieces in the block. Usually overalls are stitched with a blending thread so what you see is texture, not necessarily the design. The decision is more about budget, as Lyn said above. If it's your quilt, go to town with the density you like. It's great practice and after one good-sized quilt you will be the master of that overall design!

If you are quilting a sampler, more care should be used when deciding on the density of the quilting, and I like to match the size to the smallest pieces in each block. It makes sense visually and if you are doing CC's, it just follows that you will get smaller designs.

A hint about sampler blocks--leave those smallest pieces in the block unquilted and it really adds to the interest in the block. What you don't quilt is sometimes more important than what you do quilt.

I should make a sign that says that and hang it in the studio!!:P

Archived