help...minkee fabrics

Has anyone found a successful way of loading and quilting two pieces of minkee that are the same size. I have had requests to put the two pieces together that are the same size. Apparently one of the local gals with a Gammil can do it. I have not had it work nicely for me yet. I love minkee and use it often on the backs and tops of my own baby quilts but my back is always larger than the top. I have trouble when both top and bottom are the same size. Any suggestions would help. I have the original clamps for the sides that came with my APQS machine. Do I need to get some other kind of clamps?

I attach the backing's selvedge side to the leader, never had any problem quilting minky.

If you do it the other way, the quilt will have distorted look, I saw a quilt like that when a member of the guild did show & tell.

Here is one of my recent quilts with minky backing. The Musica quilt I posted last week was backed with minky also.

Corey

post--13461906662682_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this will help, but I find when putting 2 pieces of either Minkee or Fleece together, I have better luck if I pin baste prior to loading - this keeps the 2 pieces even. Then I roll very carefully and stitch baste as necessary and remove the pins. It is a little more work but the results have been worth it.

That's a great idea Meg. I usually mark the center and quarters of both pieces. As I roll, I have to relax the backing so it's more like a hammock to prevent stretching it excessively, and match those marks. I think the last time I did one, I had only 2 inches of extra on the bottom instead of 4 like a previous one. The sides can be pinned together as you go. I use muslin on the sides, pinned the length of my work area and clamped so that it maintains an even tautness all along the exposed area. And I do not stretch the width. It's just pinned and clamped to allow me to quilt to the edge.

This is an old picture and it isn't minky, but you get the idea.

post--13461906666271_thumb.jpg

Just to clarify...I only have an issue when the top and bottom pieces are both minkee and both the exact same size. I love using minkee on the backs as long as it is bigger than the top. I like Meg's idea of basting the two together but when it is a customer's baby quilt they do not want to pay the extra for the extra steps such as basting. They think I can just throw two pieces of the same size on the rollers and have it quilted edge to edge with no problems.

Originally posted by LadyLake

Boni - Are those muslin extenders something you made or bought, and you bought it, where? Thanks.

I made them! I saw a canvas version that sold for $75 and said NOT! I pin them to the edge of the quilt, I have a piece of a yardstick in the casing and my clamps from Harbor Freight fit perfectly around the yardstick to hold them just right. You can do it!

Originally posted by o2bquilting

Just to clarify...I only have an issue when the top and bottom pieces are both minkee and both the exact same size. I love using minkee on the backs as long as it is bigger than the top. I like Meg's idea of basting the two together but when it is a customer's baby quilt they do not want to pay the extra for the extra steps such as basting. They think I can just throw two pieces of the same size on the rollers and have it quilted edge to edge with no problems.

As to the extra money/basting step - just explain why it will be beneficial and that if they choose not to pay for this step, no guarantee will be made for the 2 layers shifting or stretching a bit different from one another. I lay the two pieces on the floor and line them up - put several pins around the edge, then work inward using only as many pins as needed - goes pretty quick, but it is another step.

Archived