Tried different thread and whew!

Just wanted to say I've used Glide thread and magna bobbins since I first got my milli, as it was recommended by Shannon K. who set up my machine. I tried it, liked it, and just never tried anything else.

So, I decided to use my friendship star blocks, from doodlebug's block swap, to make a going away gift for one of our neighbors. A lot of the neighbors signed the blocks, and then I got it back, and am quilting it.

Since the blocks are all black and white with any color the piecer wanted as the star, I decided to try a variegated thread for the first time, (you know get out of my comfie box:P)

So, anyway, glide thread doesn't come in varigated, so I chose to try the harmony cotton variegated thread prisms.

I have no tension problems so far. I have had the thread break about three times so far, and I have about 1/5th of the quilt left, so that's not bad.

But...I have never seen so much lint in the entire time I've been using glide! I have to clean the bobbin area, (and I mean clean with the air compressor) with every bobbin change!!

Oh, well, it's looking good, but can't wait to go back to the glide.;) I'll try to post a pic of the quilt when it is finished.

Thanks for listening:)

Fil-Tec's Affinity thread is the same as Glide, but varigated..............I like it, but it doesn't come in a lot of colors. I also also use Lava from Superior and it works great. No lint to speak of.

I also read on Superior's website that they plan to have So Fine Variagated next month !

I'm looking forward to checking out their booth at the AQS Des Moines quilt show in September/October!!!

Guest Linda S

Yep, Fil-Tec has variegated! I also don't like cotton all that much because of the lint, but I have some customers who are purists, so I use cotton when they want me to. Fil-Tec's Cairo Quilt and Superior's King Tut (which they finally have in more solid colors!) are both long-staple Egyptian Cotton and are less linty than most brands. The first time I used the most popular cotton around here, I decided I would never use it again! Glad I only tried one cone. I do like Cairo Quilt and King Tut.

Archived