Floating a Quilt

I hear this term mentioned in contrast to the demo of loading a quilt in the video that came with my Lenni. What is the difference. Is there a video link someone can give me that demos this technique?

Wish we had a video library on line that would show a brief demo of things that are difficult to explain in words. Anyone want to take on that project? Perhaps just a list of links to demo videos could be compiled and made available.

I learn best by someone showing, me not just telling me.

Sharon if you float a quilt you don't load the quilt top to the upper bar. I do a partial float. I load the top to the quilt top bar and then baste the top of the quilt down onto the backing and batting after I have that all set-up. I don't like doing full floats because I don't like the quilt hanging down like the batting. I usually tuck the batting up and untuck it when I need to roll forward. There are lots of people that do full floats and love it. I suggst you try it and see if you like it.

Guest Linda S

Yes, if you do a full float, you let the quilt top hang like the batting. Many folks prefer to do it this way. I find that it takes a lot of work to do this. Lots of patting, smoothing, pinning, etc. I like having the control over the quilt that comes with using the quilt top roller. I have, however, recently become aware that my leader is crooked, and I'm going to replace it.

Archived