tension with the bobbin

I tried to post this question before and I am not so sure where it went :( So, I will try again,

my bobbin is real loose, and it pulls tight when I bring it up - even when I do the bobbin test, it freely drops, no tension-but when it is up through to the top, it is real tight and pulling my top thread to the bottom, which it tight- What is going on, I am having a hard time getting a good tension. This tension stuff is going to drive me to drink :mad: Thanks for any help!!!

First, if you're gonna drink . . wait for me! :P

Is this a problem that just started or has it always been this way?

I think you should call Connie or Mark but since I'm taking a break . . I'll blabber on about my thoughts.

If you have no tenson on the bobbin when you do the drop test, and then the bobbin tension is too tight when you try to quilt, something isn't right. Are you sure there's no lint or fuzz or thread under there causing problems?

It can get real confusing but once you get the hang of it, it's not so confusing. Confused yet? :o

I would recommend (but . . talk to Connie) that you tighten up your bobbin tension so it drops the recommended amount -- no free falling! Tighten up the top tension til the stitches on top are pulling slightly, then back off just a tad.

I'm guessing that if your top thread is showing on the bottom, you need more top tension and I'm pretty sure if your bobbin is free falling, with no tension, you definitely need more tension.

Good luck!

Ok, I have loose threads on the top, and top-thread loopies on the bottom. I have tried adjusting the tension, and it doesn't seem to help. I've un loaded and reloaded the bobbin...it's almost full.

I've checked for threads and dust in the bobbin case, have "blown" it out. I'm getting ready to oil her...what else could it be? It was stitching fine one day, and the next...kaplowie. (I know this is a user error...)

Cynthia

Cynthia, What threads are you using including thread weights ? How are you putting your bobbin in the bobbin case? Have you checked your thread path ? Have you tried another bobbin? Do you have lint in your bobbin area? These all matter. jeri

Archived