Horizontal motion stiff

My horizontal motion is stiff (on the rails). I have about a 7 yr old Millennium. The wheels are sitting right on the rails. I want to get M&M wheels but need to quilt NOW. (of course). How does one clean out the thread build-up in the wheels? I tried cutting and pulling with tweezers...not working too good.

My feathers are squared off and have ripped twice. WHY NOW!

Has your machine been sitting idle for a long period of time? If so, the bearings in the wheel may be dried out and thus feel "stiff". If it has been sitting, your rails may be oxidized and need a really good cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

If you gently roll your machine while pulling thread out with tweezers it is a little easier; otherwise you may have to take machine off, remove wheels, clean and put back on. ARGGhh

Is your vertical channel lock accidentally on?

Donna

APQS Liberty

Teresa, you said that your wheels are "sitting right on the rails." That may be the source of your stiffness. Check out the thread at http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=13097

for the optimal positioning of the wheels on the rails - there's a photo about halfway through the thread that should help. Could be that your wheels have worked their way loose and just need a little bit of tightening. Check that BEFORE you take your baby apart!

Barb, I've tightened as much as I can. I noticed that thread that you referenced. My wheels do not look like that. Now the machine is loose on the rails. Both front wheels are tight and I have not touched the rear ones. I wiped the rail with alcohol and laid a tiny bead of oil on the rail. It's seeming to be smoother. BUT now whole trolley is loose.

Originally posted by AuntieTeresa

Do the wheels need oil/lube?

Teresa

No, not to my knowledge; and definately NOT on the Stitch Regulating wheel which rides up against the carriage wheel.

Sounds like a wheel adjustment issue to me. If your still having problems give APQS a call; someone there will help you and walk you through it.

Donna

APQS Liberty

Sounds like wheel adjustment to me--besides gunk in your wheels. Make sure when you adjust the top cams on the wheels that you also check under the wheels to make sure that is tight. Some w-d 40 and some tweezers will help pull threads etc from out around the seal for the wheels,. Takes patience.

If you have the old brown wheels you might want to really consider the MnM's. If you do resort to taking them off to get them clean be carefull. While upgrading to the MnM's one of mine actually fell apart -a whole chunk of the wheel- and when upgrading a friend's to the MnM's one of her seals fell apart. These are both cared for 2002/ 2003 Millies.

My guess is just like Barb. If your wheels aren't floating then I'd bet they are binding. If you have thread wrapped around them then that could be another problem. Don't forget about the brass screw under the wheels. You have to loosen it to adjust your wheels and then tighten it back up. I also wonder if you have a bad wheel. Do you see any grease leaking from the barrings?

Originally posted by AuntieTeresa

Thank you everyone..going to "play" with them this morning. I got too frustrated with them yesterday.

Heidi...No grease leaking. The screw under my wheels is not brass colored, it is stainless silver.

And they wheels are tightened as much as possible. Maybe the thread is "gunking" them up.

If there is a lot of thread in thread in there it will definitely cause some drag.

Just my opinion, but I would not use WD40 around the wheels. WD 40 is a solvent and degreaser and must be all wiped off to remove leftover residue. I would not want any WD 40 to accidentally get inside my wheels and dissolve the grease in my bearings!!!

Since we do not oil the wheels, we should not normally have an oil buildup (which is the only time you should use WD40). If you do, perhaps you have a cracked or broken wheel that needs replacing.

Donna

APQS Liberty

Donna, I didn't use WD40...I used a little oil that is used on the machine. I decided to order M&M wheels and scheduled a service house call. My machine needs a good cleaning and tweaking anyway. The machine is fine for now for basic quilting. My appointment is for next week.

Thank you everyone for you help...

Teresa

Archived