George machine quilting business owners

I don't have a George I never could get that type of quilting figured out:(. However if you go to the Quilt Artist section of the APQS wesite and check out Caryl Bryer that might help you decide. http://www.apqs.com/artists_carylbf.php

I hope that link works if not it is not hard to find. I think there are a few others on there as well.

I think it is like anything else you can do the number of quilts will depend on what you are doing on them and how big they are as well as the amount of time you dedicate to them. Just remember to have fun:P.

My take on using the George is that the person using a George is really really really good at DSM quilting and wants a larger throat space and great stitches to make life easier in the "push the paper under the pencil world". I hope that doesn't sound offensive or condescending.:)

These quilters are art quilters and heavy custom quilters, not bread and butter quilters. Not to say a "Georgette" couldn't do overall designs and light custom. I think that it would be very hard on the body--shoulders and back--to do a big one that way. Plus, pin-basting is a necessity with this quilting style. I got a longarm so I would never have to pin baste again......

As for compensating you for you time--that's up to you and how fast you can quilt and how many customers you have.

Please note--I am not looking down on the George users--such beautiful work from fabulous artists come from this collaboration of woman and machine!

No offense taken, Linda.

I don't think there are any George owners who are trying to make it as a quilt-for-others business. We are all quilting for ourselves. Certainly Caryl Bryer Fallert is not taking in other people's quilts. She quilts her own competition quilts and teaches quiltmaking to others.

I think that even the stand-up longarm quilters sometimes question whether they are "making enough money quilting to compensate them for their time". Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by Mrs.A

I think that even the stand-up longarm quilters sometimes question whether they are "making enough money quilting to compensate them for their time". Nancy in Tucson

Absolutely! Every time I do the math! But it is so much fun and so satisfying to see the (mostly) happy customers leave with a big smile and their finished treasure under their arm.

Archived