Any ideas?

OK, so I just finished a king size quilt for a lady. She didn't use really quality fabric, and she provided the backing, but let me provide the batting. (I used QD wool.) Her backing wasn't cotton. I'm not even sure what it was. It was 108" wide, but stretchy. Everything that could go wrong did! I think I ripped out the whole 8 inch wide border twice. I finally ended up with something I could live with, but you can still see every single line of the previous stitching. I just wanted to get it off the frame so bad!!

Anyway, I finally finish it and it looks OK, but I turn it over, and darn it, there's a place about 12 inches in, that the backing got bunched up around the sashing and quilted down. I REALLY do not want to rip it all out.

So, any ideas on how to get the previous stitch lines to fade away ( right now they look like it looks on batik when you unstitch), and how you would "fix" the backing problem?

I'll post pictures when I get home.

Thanks for any thoughts!

What a nightmare! When I've had something fold like that underneath, I take out the stitching over the fold and then pin baste the pucker down before sewing again. I get holes to disappear using a damp cloth and wiping both directions of the grain, and then circular. I think given how hard you've tried with this quilt, I would call the customer and tell her the situation, and let her be part of the solution.

Archived