bobbin thread not pulling to top

my bobbin thread broke after 2 full rolls of quilting. I pulled the bobbin, rethreaded it and reinstalled. Now my needle will not pull the bobbin thread to the top of my quilt.

I have been manually turning the wheel and can see the needle going up and down, but the bobbin thread is not moving. When the bobbin thread does move, it gets caught on the bar under the throat plate.

Make sure the bobbin is in the case correctly--when the thread is pulled the bobbin should spin clockwise.

Then make sure the thread tail is long enough when you re-insert the case. Leave four inches of thread and lay it along your wrist when you put in the case to keep the tail from catching in the bobbin mechanism. Pretty standard stuff and if you have been quilting along fine, probably not your problem--but the first place to look.

Then if the thread is catching under the needle plate, that bar underneath is what keeps the bobbin assembly from rotating. The correct position for the "hook retaining finger" is in your manual. It should stick into the slot only far enough for it to stop the assembly from turning. Take a Phillips screwdriver and loosen the screw. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SLIDE IT OUT ALL THE WAY AND LET THE ASSEMBLY SPIN OR YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER STEP TO ADD. Sorry for shouting!:P Slide the finger out a micro-millimeter and tighten. Manually drop the needle and see if it will pick up the thread. If it still catches, loosen and try again.

Good luck and let us know what worked for you.

OK. I would take the bobbin case out and look in there with a flash light to see if there is some thread wrapped around the spindle in the bobbin assembly. Also try a completely different bobbin. sometimes bobbins get nicks on them and they go bad. Toss it out and get a new bobbin. Bobbin cases that get dropped can get out of shape and cause problems, too.

Did you insert a new needle? If not try that. Make sure you have that needle all the way inserted inside. Tighten with a long handled screwdrriver.

Keep isolating the problem until it's resolved. Also try rethreading the top. Sometimes things get missed with threading the path on top. Hang in there good luck! :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I am getting frustrated. This is my new Lenni, just bought this year, and only my 3rd quilt on the machine.

I am now also having problems with getting the white button to get the needle to be in up position. It will go down, but can't get it to stop in up. My green "go" and "stop" button seems to go great, but when I push the green button to stop it continues to sew.

I also seem to have a gigantic headache (sinuses) so think it might just be me.

Thanks for feedback. Needed to know someone it out there for me. I feel sometimes that I was just let loose with my machine and am on my own.

Make sure that when you put the bobbin and bobbin case into the machine the thread tail is NOT behind the bobbin case. (I have done it!! The bobbin thread will not come up if stuck behind.) Also make sure you have a long enough tail. I started out with thinking about an inch was long enough. Now I make sure the tail is at least 3 inches long and in front of the bobbin case. I have also gotten the tail stuck in the little latch in the front. Now I do not hold the latch open while loading the bobbin. I hold the side of the bobbin case and then just snap it in.

I feel your frustration...good luck.

Originally posted by vickiemc

I am now also having problems with getting the white button to get the needle to be in up position. It will go down, but can't get it to stop in up. My green "go" and "stop" button seems to go great, but when I push the green button to stop it continues to sew.

Vickie,

Contact APQS about the button issues. They will help you.

Archived