frustrating day

Today I loaded a QOV and thought it would be a smooth and peaceful day of quilting, but a few problems arose. The top was pieced well, but of a lesser quality of fabrics than I am used too. I was using So Fine on top and prewound bottom line bobbins, a combination that my Millie loves. Tension seemed good, so I made a first pass using Swirls board and found the smallest pokies on back, so I changed needle. Every once in awhile I felt SR slipping and realized my stitch regulator box was loose on the back carriage wheel. I am the least mechanical person on the face of the earth, but got the direction out from when my DH installed my M&M wheels months ago and eventually figured out how to tighten everything up. I was quite proud of myself as I really am dumbfounded by anything like that, especially following written directions.

Quilting started back fine, but I was never able to completely eradicate the pokies. They are some of the smallest I have ever seen ( used a Hobbs 100 % cotton, no scrim off roll, fold side up.) I never have this problem, so I am wondering, could it be because the back was a fairly thin, poly/cotton blend? I think they will disappear after the first wash, but I am unsure what else I should have done.

Any suggestions?

Lori

Hi Lori,

In my experience, the Hobbs cotton, no-scrim has been one of the batts most likely to have pokies, because it is a thin cotton with no scrim to hold it together (although it does give a nice antique look when the quilt is washed). Perhaps readjusting the top/bottom tension, so that the bobbin thread is looser and the top thread is tighter, would help keep the cotton in the center of the quilt sandwich, rather than being pulled to the back.

Archived