Quilting borders first??

Hello all:

I have another question....and I can always get all of the answers from this group!!

Do most of you load your quilt, do the borders on each end, stitch in the ditch at seam of border then unload and reload the quilt and finish those two borders. After this is done then would you quilt the inside perameters of the quilt?? or do you quilt as you go??

I'm new and inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks bunches

Sheena:)

I think we all reach a point where its what "I Do", but its not necessarily right or wrong, its what works for each of us.

I load the quilt and if I'm doing a special design in the border I may or may not pre-draw it...some I just do freehand....but regardless of the design I will do the left side as far as I can reach go across the top and down the right as far as I can reach and then start in the middle or rather the body part of the quilt....if the design in the border is a rather simple one and not a whole lot of starts and stops I will do the left side, the middle (body) and then the right side as I go down the quilt till I get to the botton.

BUT if its a complicated design I will baste the edge of the left side, do the middle, and then baste the right side edge continuing to the bottom...where I will do the left side going up as far as I can reach and then go across the bottom border and up the right side as far as I can reach....then trim off the waste batting and backing on the sides and re-attache the undone sides to the quilt leaders so that I can do these.

I'm sure you will find what works for you, as you will pick up tons of different ways....pick out what works for you and make them your own.

Guest Linda S

I do turn my quilts to finish the last two borders. Many folks prefer to do them all at once, but I've gotten puckers too many times trying to do it that way. Not sure why, it just works better for me when I turn the quilt.

Linda

Sheena - welcome to the forum!:)

I pretty much do it just the same as Bonnie does, do not like to turn unless

I have too, loading it once is enough for me! If I have too for a certain

design I will turn and do the other sides when everything else is done....

Like they say - you will find out what works for you!

Archived