thread for a 50 year old quilt top?

I had a customer bring me a 50 year old quilt top this week. Her mother had one very much like it when she was younger, and recently told the daughter she wished she had taken better care of it. My customer found one on ebay and would like me to finish the quilt for a Christmas gift for her mother.

She had already picked out a wide back from the local quilt shop, and QD batting.

Customer also picked a panto for the pattern, even tho there are 48 hand embrodered state birds/flower blocks in the quilt.

My default thread is usually Sew Fine because it allows the quilt top to be the focus.... but givin the age of the top I'm not so sure. But I am also concerned that a 100% cotton might really show up when I plow through the embrodery.

Suggestions?

Sew fine would be my first choice. A friend of mine that also has a longarm said that I needed to use 100% cotton, because the sew fine might damage the top( cut the fabric?).

The top has a few stains on it already, but the actual sewing appears to be fairly good. I'm going to take it out and look at it again later this afternoon and I'll take a picture then of it.

I recently quilted a 1930's wedding ring quilt with So Fine, I like that it doesn't shine too much, I used a neutral that blended. The real secret though is to use the smallest needle you can, so the needle doesn't cut the threads of the material as it goes thru. Reading about textiles and a little experience has taught me that the fibers can become brittle, I quilted with a bit of humidity ( I live in the south!!) and found that after it had rested , no tension to speak of, overnight on the frame it seemed to have more body?...

The owner really liked it, had been done by a great aunt in Iowa. I used a nice back, not the polyester fabric that someone in the past had put in the plastic bag with it :D Pat

Archived