NQR No Electricity No Longarm

What do you do when the electricity goes out for several hours during your best quilting time of the day? Luckily for me I always have an applique project going. Although this time ii was in the evening and candles just don't do the trick! lol How the pioneer women could sew by candle light is a puzzle. Today I'm going to scour the antique shops in the area for a treadle sewing machine! Hummm, wonder if the DH will buy me a small generator just for the longarm? :P:D

Tell DH that you will make the purchase price of the generator back with the quilts you can do while it is running!! He could even watch TV while you quilt with it--or use his own power tools. Come on now, get those good criteria all lined up! -- as I go to the shop to find out why my new sewing/embroidery machine keeps breaking thread!

We haven't had a power outage for several years, but we do have thunder storms and I unplug all of my machines when there is lightning. I sometimes use the down time to cut out a quilt. I don't like to take time away from quilting or piecing and don't like to hand stitch binding, so it is a good time to work on the binding. I look at quilting books and magazines and plan projects. The interruptions are never at a good time, but sometimes they provide an opportunity to work on other quilt related things besides the piecing and quilting.

We were without power for a week after the flooding in January, and I was just about to plug my machine into the generator.

Couldn't stich by candlelight, but did a lot of embroidery.

I think ours is a 2 KW generator and the machine would have needed 650 W, so almost a quarter. We still had to keep the septic and water pumps going, so not much else would have been on at the same time.

Get a generator if you lose the power often. We have snow coming tomorrow. The leaves are still on the trees. There is a posibilty of having the branches come down and knocking the power lines down. Oh what fun. My mother has a generator so if it happens I may bring one the featherweights up to her house and sew. At least I will be warm. I feel for you and I hope you got the power back on by now.

We live on a farm and lost power in a spring storm for a week about 4 years ago. What a pain. No power, no water either on a farm as our pump is electric. Good thing I had friends in town who had power and let me use there shower! Bought a generator but all it would run is one thing a time so alternated between the furnace and the deep freeze. Had a bigger generator for the barn and to milk 50 cows. Then it broke down and we hand milked for 15 hours straight while a mechanic was trying to fix our generator when hooray the power came back on! Hopefully never again!...

The snow we had that knocked the power out is the same storm that's coming to the East Coast. It was wet and heavy and pulled lots of tree limbs down onto the power lines. Luckily we were only out of power for about 5 hours and we rarely get outages. Ardelle, I've only milked a cow twice and don't know how your hands, arms and backs held out for 15 hours. Stay warm and safe my friends.

with a storm coming in this weekend it looks like power outages may be in my future. I already decided I'm going to organize my sewing room since it'll be daylight out. Major custom job on the frame but what you can't control you just have to let go, though I am doing a special dance to the power gods.

Archived