machine stops stitching

Millie will be going fine in regulated mode and all of a sudden she just stops. I don't have any lights on the top, you know there are lights on the right and left - no lights in either section. If I turn off the stitch regulator and turn it on again she may stitch a couple of stitches and she may not. Come to think of it when she does stitch its like she is on half speed while in regulated mode. I haven't tried manuel mode (didn't think to do that)... any suggestions will be appreciated. I live in rural Montana so no chance of a reapair man here....:(

Don't despair, quiltmaker54! Even though it's Friday night (and APQS tech support is closed), you're not out there all alone!! And there's even a "repair man" who has been known to travel the rural Montana highways - only it's not a man......;)

Back to the real problem: if your machine stops stitching in the middle of quilting, the first culprit I look for is "Are your fingers resting on the buttons?" If you press one of the buttons without the "control button" at the back of the mushroom, the machine will stop stitching. However, if you then have trouble resuming quilting, that's probably not it.

Does this happen from both sides of the machine? You know, freehand vs. panto. That will help determine if it's a problem with one of the mushroom heads.

Do try manual mode and see if there's issues there - that will also help to narrow down the cause.

One more question - does your Millie have the new M&M wheels? And if so, have you installed the static-discharge clip/strap that APQS has developed? Static buildup will also cause your machine to stop mid-quilt.

I am heading out tonight for a date with my hubby, but I will check the forums before bed. And I will be around all day tomorrow, so don't hesitate to call or email me, and we'll throw ideas around.

You can also try sending an email to service@apqs.com - they will sometimes monitor the email over the weekend, but I don't hold out much hope, what with the IQA Festival going on in Houston.....:(

And maybe someone else will chime in with a more pertinent suggestion for you - we'll get you going again!

Barb you are a GEM!! I believe I visited with you at the quilt show in Great Falls about 2 years ago.

Yes it does happen from both sides..... I am fairly confident that I am not hitting the buttons on the back side of the handle. I know that the wheels were replaces about 2 years ago but I don't think they are the M&M wheels. Mille was sent to APQS to be refurbished about a year ago and has been running great every since. I don't own the machine I quilt after hours for the owner, but am the only one who runs the machine. If there is wear on the wheels because of bad alignment would that cause the regulator to stop working completely and would that account for no lights on the top.... that is what I suspect is happening. Also when she is stitching it seems like she is only running at half speed.

Thanks so much for your help!;)

Quilt maker,

We also need to check the motor brushes on the machine, which can drag the motor down. It would be good to try the machine in manual mode to determine what reaction you are getting from the motor so we can continue to narrow down the process. If you send me your email address I can send you instructions on checking the brushes. Send it to dawn@apqs.com.

We will figure it out!

:D:D:D Barb, I just hooted at your suggestion that she was hitting one of the buttons during stitching and turned the machine off. I have done that so many times until I can't count them! I started with Lenni and there was no extra buttons to hit. Then I moved to Freedom and, Viola' off she went! It took me about a month to remember to move my hands down the handle to quilt! I think it is too funny you identified that right off!!!:D:D:D

I had that problem and discovered that the cables for one of the rear handles was wiggling ever so slightly loose. I'm not sure if it was catching on something without me noticing, but I wound the cable back up out of the way and made sure it was securely in, and the problem went away.

Archived