I'm ready to get this finished

I feel as if I've been working on this quilt for eons. The reality is that the customer has taken it back to consult with her interior designer more times than I care to remember.(Thank heavens for zips) Each time it comes back it has to wait for me to finish the quilts that filled the gap! The last time it came back she had decided that she no longer liked the border fabric. Could I find something else and replace the outer border?

This quilt is a commission - she was given the embroidered bird blocks and doesn't sew.

Replacing the border has been a real PITA and now it looks as if the yellow border is too full. I know it's not - I was so careful to ensure the replacement border (the black) was exactly the same measurements as the old magnolia border. However, since all of the quilt up to the yellow border was already quilted it is, of course, now smaller/taken up by the quilting. I'm just having to ease in the yellow and black borders as I get to them. The black will have piano keys or bead board quilting.

My question - I'm SIDing the yellow border. Do I have to quilt more in it ? If so - what? The yellow border is 1.5" wide. The green sashing has a simple leaf design and the wider green border has a more elaborate leaf & swirl pattern. As you can see it shows up really well - not!

I'll try & post a pic of the quilt before the border change and the closer pic is where I'm at now.

post--13461907553905_thumb.jpg

Anne I don't know that you have to do anything in that 1 1/2" border but if it seems puffy to you stitching in it will help that. You could do half circles going in for each side, can't for the life think of the name of that dart and something or something and dart. It is a nice border design that isn't too competitive with anything else.

Guest Linda S

A simple, fast fill for small borders like that is ribbon candy. I know it looks complicated, and it always looks bad to me when I'm doing it, but when I come back to look at it, I always find the quilting faeries have straightened it up!

post--13461907555043_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll post a picture when it's done. I've just got 1 side of bead-board border and that yellow border left to do. Hopefully, I can get that done today. That will leave me with the binding and label to do before handing this quilt back to the customer. That will have to wait until next week unfortunately. I'm leaving to drive down to Savannah, GA tomorrow. My DD is FINISHED with college on Thursday and we have to pack up her share of her dorm apartment & bring it home.

Gail - yes I'm definitely charging her by the hour for changing out those borders. She has been paying me in installments for this quilt. A deposit for the designing & towards making the quilt up front, the balance of the cost for making the quilt when that was done, and now she will have to pay for the quilting, alterations and binding. It ends up being quite an expensive quilt but it is truly custom in every respect.

Archived