longarm anatomy

As you quilt, and then roll your quilt forward, the rolled up quilt (on the takeup roller) becomes bigger around; therefore, without the ability to raise the roller bar with the quilt on it you would continue to lose quilting space. So, this is what you will do:

There is a metal threaded handle above the spring on the leg. When you turn it to loosen it from the metal bar of the leg, the spring is freed and it pushes the take up roller part higher. When you have it where you want it you just tighten the handle again to lock it in place. Then when you take your quilt off and start a new one you will want to lower it back down by loosening the handle, pushing down on the side frame support and then re-tightening again.

Do you have three or four rollers? You want the take up roller to be be level with the front (backing/belly) roller so that your quilt is laying evenly under your machine head. So, if you have three rollers you will adjust it to where you have about your finger's first knuckle spacing between the bed of your machine head and the roller. If you have the fourth roller that will do that job, and then the takeup roller can be higher. But I'm not sure that the old table with the spring on the side had a leveler roller - the take up roller did both jobs.

I switched out my original metal table legs, which had the spring for adjustment like you are talking about, with legs that supported a fourth roller, the leveler bar. I had an extra roller for batting on my table which I then used for my fourth roller instead. It is easier to work with now, but I did it the spring way for some time and didn't have troubles - it just took an extra step. Just remember to adjust both sides of the table so your quilt lays evenly under the machine head and the head moves smoothly and the stitches stay even.

Hope this helps!

Marci

Ultimate I - Three days away from being stitch regulated!

Archived