QUILT CLASSES AT CRAFT STORE

Ok, I just have to get this off my mind. I was in AC Moore today (getting fabric markers) and as I was checking out I noticed the upcoming class samples. I quickly zoomed in on

"a quilt class" sample. It was horrible, not a square block in the 9 patch and I have no idea what the fabric was. The sample was approximately 20in X 20in (kind of a nine patch blocks with borders, no batting, backing, binding (naked top). The class was $25.00 plus $20.00 for supplies. Bring you own sewing machine and have a good working knowledge of using it. I'm no quilt police, but I really wanted to say something to the manager but held back. I know they are a business but there are soooo many quilt shops and great instructors in my area (not to mention JoAnns and Hancocks), AC Moore should stick to scrap books and cakes. Am I bad to think this way? I feel bad for the students.

Connie, you could certainly say something. But, when you do, offer a suggestion or two. I think we should never mention a problem without also giving a solution to that problem.

Maybe you could be the solution? LOL! :P

Oh and be careful about how you are critical of the wonky block displayed because the manager could be the one that sewed that thing together. You don't want to add insult to injury by offending him/her...:cool:

I would be thrilled for them to introduce quilting to their customers, if they were doing a good job and charging a fair price. If they are going to do it badly I would rather they left well alone.

I agree with Shana, tactfully offering your services might be a very good idea.

Ferret

Guest Linda S

Good advice here. I think we should all endeavor to spread knowledge of our art, but man -- I know how you must have been feeling. If someone is going to learn quilting, they should learn it the right way.

I taught quilting at Micheals for awhile & I loved doing it but....The classes I could teach were very limited! The biggest obsticle was the way they sold their fabric. No bolts of any kind just fat quarters and fat quarter bundles. The students got bored & bought fabric elsewhere (who would'nt?) That did NOT go over very well & most of them (Managers) did not understand why they couldnt just but more there! LOL The best part was the price for the class. VERY inexpensive compared to the local shops offerings. It was a popular class!

Archived