Quilting Raffle Quilt for Guild

Do some guilds pay for long arm quilting or is it all donated time by the long arm quilter?

Do you feel that you have received new quilting business from quilting a raffle quilt?

Did everyone appreciate your efforts or did you receive negative input?

Does it look good on your quilting "resume" that you have quilted a guild raffle quilt?

Thanks for your comments. I have made my decision not to try to do this quilt. I feel I need more experience so I would be confident of my skills but wanted to have some input.

My guild has 170 members. We had our show in October and had a NQA judge. One of the ribbons was for best professional quilting and the ribbon was won by one of our members who has recently started her business. She has since been hired to do the quilting on the 2012 raffle quilt. I've been in the guild only a few years and every year someoine has been hired to quilt the raffle quilt. Perhaps the guild has been given a discount, but the quilting is not done as a gratuity.

I've done two Raffle quilts for the guild. The first one I gave a 50% discount. The cost was taken from the proceeds. The 2nd one I did for free jsut because it was my donation to the guild for the year. I like to do my share and I felt like this year I hadn't done as much charity work so this was my charity. I have gotten business from quilting them.

My guild budgets for the fabric for the raffle quilt and also for the quilting. We have many longarmers in the guild and the raffle committee decides who they would like to ask to do the quilting. We haven't been asked to "audition" and "offer our best discount" ;) since one year when they decided it would be a competition between the longarmers and none of us applied! The guild sent the quilt out of state to be quilted that year!

I have quilted three over the years and offered a 15% discount and free batting. I also consider this to be part of my charity for the year.

My guild is big (225 members) and does great fund-raising so that offsets expenses for the raffle quilt. We raise the max on the raffle quilt each year, which in my state for a non-profit is $5000.

I don't know about any extra business from the quilting though. My name is on the quilt and also the information cards that are left at fabric stores. No one has ever called me and said they saw my name on the quilt. But guild members might give me a chance after they see it.

My guild of about 130 members does not pay for the quilting, although I did ours this year and I was given a gift certificate for $150 to a LQS. I also said I wanted a few months to do it, since I work full time at another job. I got 3 weeks which meant I needed to take 2 days off from work to get it finished in time! I used my thread, but I was given the batting. I spent about 60 hours quilting it, so that was about $2.50 per hour. :)

They do take my cards to the quilt shows, but I haven't gotten any customers from it so far. It was finished in June 2011 and will go to shows until we raffle it off at our show in October 2012.

I hope it generates some business! So far, this has raised more money than any of the previous years, although there's still a long way to go till the raffle.

Archived