Stablizer question

DB

I have just been asked to make a couple of quilts for someone, my neighbor's grandchildren ages 6 and 8 for Christmas. I had actually offered this service, their dad, my neighbor's son passed away this summer. I offered to make the kids quilts from their dad's clothes and yesterday received some of his t-shirts that were either special to him or have significance to the kids. My question is this, I have never worked with t-shirts, is there a stablizer that is better than another one? Are there any special tricks to using the stablizer? I don't want to botch this up as they can't be replaced.

Dianne

I use Stacy Shape Flex, it's a Pellon product and is a knit so that it stretches with the shirts instead of tearing like some of the non-woven stabilizers. The only t-shirt quilts that I've ever seen messed up used a cheap iron on non-woven which tore every time I moved the quilt to quilt it, it was so tight and thin. Just a shame!

OK, so this might so silly, but I have never used any of these products. Do I just iron the t-shirts to the Pellon/Tricot product and then use the t-shirt fabric the way I would use regular quilting fabric for piecing and quilting? Or do I have to still iron the t-shirt/Pellon combo onto something else? Do some of these products stretch? Isn't that something I want to stop from happening?

When I agreed to this project I was dreading getting T-shirts but this seems to be what he wore when he hung out with his kids. I do want this to come out nice for them.

Thanks for everyone's imput, I really appreciate it, I always consider this the best source of quilting info.

Dianne

I cut out the t-shirt design a couple of inches bigger than I want the block and then fuse it following the instructions that come with the fusible. I have used the lightweight woven fusible.

Trim your block and you are ready to stitch together in whatever pattern you have chosen. I think most quilters use a fairly open quilting pattern.

Good luck.

I treat the tricot stabilizer like any other stabilizer : cut my T-shirt block bigger than needed, apply the stabilizer with the greater stretch going the opposite direction as the greater stretch of the T-shirt per manufacturers directions. Then I cut my block to size and sew like normal. It does add weight to the quilt, but stays soft - drapes well.

Archived