This one won't quilt out............IT'S DONE !

This happens at both ends of a persons quilting life and it is well worth the time to make either group happy. I was thinking the other day about the one I did for a new quilter to give to her dad. I hope it will be serving him well now the weather is getting colder.

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

......She has a Bernina machine............not real new, but not old either. I think she does have a 1/4" foot. Her space to sew in is so dark and dreary and tiny. I think she has trouble seeing !

I was thinking....hmmm....Linda, what about getting one of those OTT lights (or something similar (cheaper) desk lamp) you can clip to the edge of a table that has the long neck you can turn or pivot the light in different directions. She could clip it to her table or mount it to her wall next to the machine. A little extra lighting might mean your next quilt will be "not so fluffy" :) You know what they say about a happy quilter.....

Well, after pretty much re-sewing the whole bottom half of the quilt top and replacing the border (minus the 3" of excess), I got that baby quilted. It actually turned out pretty darn good from what it started out to be. I knew I had to nail down the blocks, so SID around all, then FEATHERED the whole thing............Yes, I FEATHERED!!! Yayyyyy. :) She was dead set on any meandering or stippling, so I needed something to really suck in the extra fullness here and there.

I've been wanting to try an all over feather for a while, other that on a practice piece. So, I decided to "JUST DO IT". HAHA I went in wavy rows across the quilt with the feathers going from left to right one row and then right to left with the next row and interlocking so it doesn't look like rows.

After I got it off the machine and trimmed, it looks OK ! I won't include a picture - just in case she or someone she knows would see it.

After I finished that quilt, my machine was in need of a deep cleaning, so I did that with the WD40 in bobbin area, alcohol on wheels and rails, oiled it all good, cleaned under my needle plate, etc. I'm all set to quilt away again soon. I soaked down my oil wicks and put a towel under the machine and needle plate to catch any excess that might come through. I'll stitch a while on a practice sandwich before doing another good quilt.

Feels good to get all that accomplished !

Archived