This one won't quilt out............IT'S DONE !

An elderly friend from my quilt group brought me a quilt to do for her and it is a mess. Several missed seams or they start at 3/8" on one end and go down to next to nothing on the other end. She didn't square up her blocks before sewing together either. I loaded it on the machine and was in the process of basting down the edges to keep the size "square". There were some full places, but nothing that couldn't be worked out with the quilting. Then, as I get farther down, it gets fuller and fuller until there is way too much to fudge or quilt out..........So, (thankfully for zippered leaders) I took it off the machine and laid it out on my big table and started ripping that lower corner (about 30 x 37" space) of the quilt apart. By the time I got all the blocks out that were way too full, I had over 2" of extra border along the bottom. Thankfully, this is a simple pattern (disappearing 9 patch) and I can re-sew the blocks and make it work. I will never tell her what I had to do. She would be mortified. I feel so bad for her, but then again, I have spent an entire afternoon "fixing" this quilt top. I should have had it all quilted by now.

Oh well............I keep thinking that maybe someday when I am 85, some kind soul will fix my poor workmanship, too. It's just so sad, as she was a fabulous seamstress and very meticulous about everything and won blue ribbons at the State Fair. :(:(:(

That sounds so much like my mom!!!!! She was still piecing at 98 but her sight was terrible...and so were her seams. We would take huge tucks in some places and rip out in others. Nothing compared to her smile when she saw the finished result though!. Bless you.

She is such a sweet lady and it breaks my heart to see her failing like this. I've known her for over 10 years and to watch her slowly progress downward is so sad. My Mom is about the same way. She is 85 and her sewing/quilting skills are fading, too. It will happen to us all I guess. :(

Guest Linda S

What a sweetie you are. You know, depending on the type of machine she has (if she pieces by machine), they make a lot of feet for machines now that have the 1/4" guard on them. It's pretty hard to mess up a seam (at least I think so) if you have that 1/4" foot on and keep the fabric against it. You might mention one to her when you think you can work it into the conversation without hurting her feelings. Like, 'I'm so glad I got that new foot for my machine -- makes it so easy . . ." ;)

You are an angel!

I have a sweet old lady who has brought me 2 quilts, both in bad shape. Last year it was a queen size quilt and a few weeks ago it was a twin size.The queen was a nightmare - all pieced blocks, all different sizes, fraying seams, and holes where many of those seams had frayed open. This one was just strips of fabric sewn together horizontally. The alternate strip was either a curtain or a sheet because she left the hem on the one end of a strip. It was almost gathered at all of the seams. I had to take them out and re-sew them. Forunately, there were only 12 seams in the entire quilt! After I quilted it, it really didn't look too bad. It is a Christmas gift for her great-great nephew - 3 years old. I hope she puts a label on it so he can remember her when she's gone.

You know Linda, this is the heart of the quilter. I am always filled with joy when I see, or hear of the giving heart on a fellow quilter. I truly believe we are hardwired to respond the way you did. I just was watching the morning news and was beginning to feel so down about what is going on in the world. Your post was just the right thing to click my brain back to what is good in the world. Thanks!

Linda,

I don't know you, but I feel (and have felt) your pain.

But, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. You are an ANGEL and she will be so proud of her quilt. It may be one of the last "good" accomplishments she has. YOU have honored her and the best part is--she'll never know. What a blessing on you.

Anette:)

Thank you all for your nice comments. I got all the fluffy blocks I ripped out squared up and will re-sew them today and get them back into the quilt top. After that, the quilting will go fast, as she didn't want anything fancy. I had to walk away from it yesterday, but this morning I am ready to tackle it again. :) Thankfully she is in no hurry for it.

Linda S........She has a Bernina machine............not real new, but not old either. I think she does have a 1/4" foot. Her space to sew in is so dark and dreary and tiny. I think she has trouble seeing !

Archived