metal bobbin problems

I am new to this and have run into a problem. Up till now I've been using magnaglide bobbins. Last night I wound an aluminum bobbin with So Fine. After loading it and trying to sew, I don't think it (the bobbin) is rotating at all. It will stitch about an inch, acting like its caught on something, then stops moving. So I wound a steel bobbin and tried that, but the same thing happened. When I put the magnaglide bobbin back on, it stiches beautifully. The aluminum bobbin has an eaten up edge since I tried to use it

For the life of me I can't remember why my UII did that. Every so often the bobbin would come out all chewed up on one side. This means that the bobbin is getting hit by the needle when it's spinning around. I think that I took out the check spring and rebent the two little springs on it so it wasn't so tightly pushing on the bobbin. There needs to be just a little pressure against the bobbin for it to function properly. Give that a try. You can buff the score marks on the bobbin with very fine sand paper or use the striker part of a match book to correct this. Good luck. zeke......................

If the edge of the bobbin is eaten up, but fine when you tried to use it, something is putting the gouges in it. With the check spring in the case, put the metal bobbin in the bobbin case. With the bobbin facing up in your hand, does the bobbin edge sit above the outside edge of the case? It should sit "proud"--about a 16th of an inch or so above the edge. This ensures that when inserted, the bobbin is fairly tight against the back of the bobbin assembly. If it sticks up too far, the check spring fingers are bent out too far and need to be pried in a bit so the bobbin sits correctly.

I think maybe your needle is hitting the edge of the metal bobbin case and causing the gouges. Discard those rough bobbins since the gouges will catch the thread. Your needle depth may be off a tad--you can still make stitches but it's not clearing the edge of the metal bobbins as the stitch is made. Perhaps insert a metal bobbin, take off the needle plate and use a strong light to check what the needle does as you manually advance the flywheel through a couple of stitches. That will give you and idea of where the bobbin is touching something metal.

Magna-glides have no sides of course--nothing to catch on and no check spring to deal with. I hope you can get it figured out--it's nice to be able to use self-wound bobbins to match thread.

Check and make sure the two edges of the "opening" in the top of the bobbin match. When I had this problem, at one point, I hadn't inserted the bobbin case properly into the machine - it had only gone about halfway - and when I started up the machine there was a loud bang. I'd hit the top of the bobbin case with the needle and bent it. After that point, the bobbins would go in, but wouldn't spin as freely as they should. When I looked, one of the edges of that gap was noticeably "pushed in" and not level with the other side of the gap.

Archived