NQR: Calling you Aussies--help!

My son will be studying at the University of Adelaide this coming semester. He is woefully uninformed about the practicalities of life there. Can you help?

My initial questions are whether Australia power is the same as the U.S. or whether he will need adapters. Also, can anyone recommend a reliable but inexpensive source for bedding, towels, and such in Adelaide near the university (St. Mark's College) since shipping is so expensive he will need to buy things there. (I don't know whether you have chains like Target or whether local shops still rule in Australia.) Also, can you recommend the most reliable source for a local cell phone--perhaps a prepaid--since it will only be used while he is studying there.

Of course, any tips you can offer to a Mom sending her DS your way will be very appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

How lucky is your son, what a wonderful experience for him and wouldn't it be awful if you had to come visit, to check out if his surroundings were suitable LOL

He will be able to purchase a power supply cable here for his computer, there shouldn't be any other issues there.

Opportunity shops and St Vinnies etc are great places for linen, I purchased 2 new (still in the packet) towels and some sheets for my guest bedroom for $6.00 recently, most Op shops have other household requirements if he has to set up a temporary home, all at very reasonable prices.

Cell-phones can be bought at the local Post Office and many shops offer re-charge facilities.

If you haven't already, set up Skype on your computers, free face to face chats are fantastic and close the distance gap beautifully, hope he has a wonderful time in Adelaide, my son lived there for some years and would love to go back.

Cheers

Hi Cynthia,

We are not too far behind here in Australia lol!

Your son will just find things a bit more expensive here....well probably a LOT more expensive!

No problems about power, transformers are readily available as are prepaid cell phones.

We are a friendly bunch here so he won't have any problems finding out the best places to find everything

he needs to set up his home away from home!

Hi Cynthia,

You can find an adapter plug in your department stores like, target, maceys or even walmart. When we travelled to the states last year (and the year before) we bought one here before we went that was a Aussie to USA conversion. I'm sure you can get them in the reverse order, USA to Aussie conversion over there. Travel agencies or luggage shops also sell them and they are inexpensive. We found them easy to use as we didn't have to think about cables and could take our own electrical appliances.

Op shops, or as they are termed in the USA, Thrift stores are a good place to shop for things on a budget. Spotlight is similar to Jo-Annes. Food is ALOT more expensive here to buy than in the states, with generally smaller portion sizes, so if you have time to teach your son a few basic meals to cook for himself, or if he can cook already it will stand him in good stead. (Mc Donalds is NOT as cheap here as in the states)

If you need to ask anything, by way of comparison, just drop me an email or U2U. I'm more than happy to answer questions.:)

Thanks to you all. I am being worse than a mother hen, just clucking away here since my style is to research everything before a trip and save the drama for sightseeing (LOL). (Eric just saves the drama for mama.) The info on Spotlight was just the sort of info I wanted to bombard him with with--the post office tip is the best! (Are your phones done through the post office usually?)

Certainly didn't mean to suggest that you all are backward down under (although maybe upside-down?) I'm not sure that I accept the impersonal strip malls and big box stores of the US as civilization's peak.

And, yes, I am very excited that he will have this opportunity to study outside the US--wish I'd been able to do something like that when I was his age!

Which campus will he be on?

Adelaide the city of Churches, very lovely city, fairly flat and easy to walk around. Public transport within the city is good, he must catch a tram out to Glenelg and experience the bay!

Go sightseeing in the Barossa Valley and enjoy the wines!!( catch a tourist bus), Drive up Mount Lofty to see the whole city. Rundle Mall in the city. South Australia has many tourist sights.

Hopefully he will be able to take a break from his studies to enjoy some of them

I he were still in Australia in Late September then you could fly out to visit him and also visit our Machine Quilting Showcase which will be held in Adelaide.

Australian power is 240 volt and I need to use a transformer on my Millie. The power adapter of your son's computer ( usually a small black box on his cord) will change the voltage to suit he just need to have an Aussie style plug. Ours are a three straight pin set up, not 2 rounded.

Lyn--He expects to be at St. Mark's, although he is still waiting for the final confirmation.

I have seen some tourist-y pictures of the area near Adelaide and agree that he must not miss sightseeing (even as I keep reminding him that his studies next semester still count and must not be neglected). Of course, last summer, we also saw the photo of the great big crocodile in the river nearby so he doesn't want to miss that! Cynthia

Archived