Road to California

Just came back from Road to California quilt show. OMG, it was the most fabulous show I have ever seen. When I get home tonight, I will post website where you can go to view 262 pictures. Took a lot of the background quilting as well as whole quilt.

Claudia Pfeil took a second place with the Mermaid's Castle...jaw dropping the amount of work.

Marilyn Badger's quilt was beautiful

The Skeletons in the Beauty shop took most humorous award...

I was so tired after 9 hours I could hardly believe what I saw.

It was an incredible show this year. So many beautiful quilts and a great variety. Visited with Alex Anderson, her hubby John and Ricky Tims. Marilyn Badger demonstrated using the micro drive handles - what an itty bitty stipple! She is an absolutely lovely lady. Verna Mosquera had a lovely booth - her quilts are gorgeous. She was fun to talk with too. Along with many others as well. The vendors were just great. I got some Red Snappers, a few more GO dies, an Oliso iron (love it so far), some Glide thread and Magna Glide bobbins, a couple more bobbin cases, and ordered a whole bunch of rulers, a few new pantos. What a great day!

It was a great show. The quilts were wonderful. I spent my budget. Plus I took 5 classes and learned so much. I met Amy Stuart and Dawn at the APQS maint. class. It was great. Had a feather class with Dawn Cavanaugh. She's awesome and now I can do some really neat funky feathers. I also really enjoyed Dustin Farrell's "Bread and Butter" class for more E2E designs. I got to bring home the class sampler from that class, I did the happy dance when he gave it to me. All in all, I had fun and I learned a lot. Now I need to get off the computer and go quilt!!:):) And to top it all off I met some really neat people while I was there.

The Funky Feather lecture with Dawn was worth going to the show for me! Just to have the inspiration of taking something and riffing off of it to make something different - too fun. Paper piecing with Carol Doak was a hoot. I now feel like I can paper piece like crazy and she was a delight to have a class with. Art & Stitch feather class - oh my - I need more time to play with that program - anyone have any to share?

I loved Amy Stuarts APQS Maintenance class. Because of that class I ordered everything I need for the replaceable feet. I am pretty sure I can tackle timing my machine now. Thanks Amy!

I also took several of Dawn Cavanaughs classes. They were all great.

I had a really bad cold for the whole thing, but still managed to learn a lot.

My favorite quilt was the Americana one that won a prize. A friend said it is not on the DVD of all of the quilts, but I took several pictures of it on preview night. I am not sure what the name of the quilt was, but it was a big red and blue mariners compass on a white background with borders that looked like bunting.

Guest Linda S

Does anyone know who made the fabulous Viewer's Choice quilt - Mariner's Compass? I've seen pictures posted of it, but no one bothered to say who it was done by. It's absolutely exquisite.

Originally posted by Linda S

Does anyone know who made the fabulous Viewer's Choice quilt - Mariner's Compass? I've seen pictures posted of it, but no one bothered to say who it was done by. It's absolutely exquisite.

Linda,

It is by Sherri Reynolds from Wyoming. She uses a twenty year old Bernina and if I remember correctly also has three small children! I think she must be an over achiever to manage three little ones and quilt like that. She won a big prize last year too with a Christmas quilt. It you click on this link http://road2ca.com/2011winners/road/winners.html and scroll down a few quilts you will see the quilt from last year.

Road was great this year with some amazing quilts. I took three great classes, one of them with Dawn. Dawn is the font of all knowledge! It was a wonderful class.

Great show, I saw beautiful quilts, the best of show quilt winners are members of our guild, really, really great quilters, quilting was done on a Bernina. I Did not stay long, visited wit Meg Marshall & Laura. I go to road almost every year, it's about 2 1/2 hour drive from home.

Corey

Guest Linda S

Finally! I'm glad that Road finally posted the list of winners. Waiting is sheer hell, even though I didn't have anything entered, I have to know who made each quilt. You know, the BOS at MQX West in October was done on a Bernina. I cannot even imagine. I used to do meanders or simple shapes with my Bernina and it killed my neck and shoulders. The artists who manage to do such gorgeous works on those machines just blow me away.

Thanks Sue & Laura for posting the link...I've been watching every day & waiting for them to post the winners.

My Beauty Parlor de los Muertos won an award...who knew that they gave a prize for 'Most Humorous'! So many of the winners are just gorgeous...someday I must attend that show!

Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by Mrs.A

....My Beauty Parlor de los Muertos won an award...who knew that they gave a prize for 'Most Humorous'! Nancy in Tucson

Nancy.... Are you sure you won "Most Humorous" or could it possibly be that you won "Most Humerus" I mean really.... maybe you won both awards!!

Sorry......about the "funny bone" pun...I just had to tease you with this play on words! Congrats!!! :P

post--13461908030183_thumb.jpg

Archived