trapunto

A lady gave me a wall hanging to do. It is 48" square,. The center is 12" with a big bird (lots of feathers on the bird) and a some flowers, leaves & stems in the piece. . She would like the bird, etc. done in trapunto. I have done trapunto once. My first concern is (I have many) what do I use for the first backer ? I have pellon fleece and poly batting. Will either one of those work? The stitching around the feathers will be very close . How much will it stand out? Will one layer batting work on trapunto parts?

She is willing to trim the batting off the back around the design. I told her it was tedious. Thanks for your help. Janice

Guest Linda S

Dream Puff would work or a couple layers of your poly. I have a roll of 16oz. Poly I got from Fairfield that I use for trapunto. If you buy that stuff, you have to know precisely how much you want to cut before you slide the wrapper off. Once the wrapper is off, cut it quickly and slide the wrapper back on before it expands and consumes your entire quilting room. It gets fluffy really fast!

Archived