memory/Tshirt quilt ?????

I had a lady call me and ask if I can make a memory quilt, designed like a t shirt quilt out of her daughters dance outfits.

I only had boys, so I may be totally off base here, but arent't dance costumes sparkly with lots of sequens (sp)?????

I'm not sure how I would anchor the quilt. My only thought would be that the blocks with the costume fabric would have to be small, and only quilt in the supporting fabric.

Anybody ever attempted something like this?

I did one of these several years ago and swore I'd never do it again. I made her sign a release that if the items faded, rotted, shrank, or otherwise died she would not sue me. I told her how her netting and other nylon items would melt etc. Still, she wanted it. Many items I attached after the quilt was quilted. I would never do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just visited with a potential customer a couple of weeks ago. I took a couple of memory block and sweatshirt quilts to show them but also took a Crazy (Memory) Quilt-- lap size that a friend of mine had made. She had lots of sparkily stuff in it, fancy fabrics and used embroidery to put names and dates. She machines pieces but is a hand quilter. So maybe that could be an option.

Guest Linda S

It seems as though anything made from stretchy fabrics will need some sort of stabilizer fused to the back to make it stop stretching. As mentioned, however, the heat involved in fusing said stabilizer to the fabric might cause a lot of damage. You might want to take a look at the costumes to see what they consist of so you can get a better idea for what the customer wants. Then either take the job or run for the hills. I'd most likely do the latter.

Before just saying no I would want to look at what she had. Maybe they aren't spandex or stretchy but ballroom gowns. After looking then I would give an honest answer of what I think can or can't be done. Just saying no without looking might be the wrong answer.

Archived