t-shirt quilt

I bow to the "Queen of Quilting Linda Rech" but I just quilt a panto and quilt right through the rubber stuff, the names, the big ole seams. and intersections and all that stuff. I guess it works cause I didn't know to watch for those things when i started. ;) Anyway, it will make you feel better to know it is hard to mess them up. Just do it!!!:P I know for sure that if I quilted on and Linda did hers would win the blue ribbon!!! No joke!

If it is pieced in the manner that does not include cotton sashing and borders...I sew a "stabilizing" strip all around the outside (slightly heavier than quilt cotton, but not denim heavy) --- then apply my clamps and pin my leaders to the stabilizing strip....keeps the quilt nice and square and avoids stretching the knit blocks. Once the quilting is done, I just cut off the stabilizing strip with a rotary cutter --- sacrifices about 1/4" of the t-shirts on the edge but well worth it in the end.

I do not find any issues with quilting them ---- they seem to behave much like cotton quilts --- except you do need to watch for fabric bunching up if the piecer "stretched' the blocks while assembling them. They do need decently dense quilting --- otherwise they will begin to bag in areas when washed and the backing shrinks up a bit. (personal experience with the one I made for my hubby).

Archived