Need suggestions on this one....?

Well, I have this huge custom quilt to start on next and usually they talk to me but this one is being mumm......my picture is not the best, but there is a large (12") black floral border on the outside as well. This customer does not want any straight lines...so I am thinking of combining pebbling in the middles of the embroidered blocks surrounded with McT with feathers thrown in here and there..or maybe just some easy meandering...part of me wants to make it as easy as I can, I am thinking some leaves in one border maybe the peach sashing and a feathery treatment for the black floral blocks (I know they won't show but she wants a cabled feather in the outer black floral borders so these would tie it in...but what to do in the green borders? I need some ideas....pretty please?

2750202290104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

And yes this quilt is huge....king size!

Vicki,

I would do leafy vines in all the green sashings/borders, some sort of feather curl combination in the pink and black. I like your idea of pebbles and mctavishing in the block backgrounds, but in the outer border why not do all feathers. Just mark the curly type of spine and freehand the actual feathers. To change the topic, did you get your heritage applique quilt done?

Vicki,

I would do feathers in the green and sashing as I think those will show the most and give you the most bang. In the peach you can do swirls or leaves if you want. I would do large circles in the black. If you're going to put in a feather cable I'd be sure to stipple around it so it pops more. That black is pretty busy. I like the idea of McTavishing around the applique. I'd add feathers in the white corners of the embroidered blocks. It looks like you should be able to fit in a triangle type design in each corner.

Yes I finally did finish it and tackled another custom for a customer this week, my applique quilt is waiting for the elusive green vine fabric that I finally just found for it's binding. I'll try to get a pic taken and loaded, I think it turned out well.

I think the curly feathers would be alot easier myself, I'll try to talk her into that as the cable feather combo will also leave alot of unquilted space....thanks for the ideas...:)

I would suggest that whatever you do in the green sashing around the embroidered blocks, be done in a dark sage green, to help integrate the black borders with the rest of the quilt.

The second suggestion would be to use the newer 'double-S curved crosshatch ruler' by Rhonda in the green border surrounding the center.

Archived