Considering buying a light box...any suggestions?

I got a kitchen cabinet (section) from Home Depot. Instead of a counter top, I put plexiglass on it and a flouresent bulb inside. When I don't need the lighted surface, I lay a piece of thin plywood on top which can be used for a cutting table, etc. The bottom is used for storage.

Sandra,

I have a light fixture that is supposed to be used as a "set in the ceiling" fixture that measures about 18" x 24", I think. I bought it a home improvement store a few years ago when I was into stained glass quilts. I had to have a plug added onto it as it was wired to be hardwired into the mainlines of the house. It worked great for tracing and was alot cheaper than what was being advertised as light boxes at the time.

Dianne

Hi Dianne (my former roommate at MQX),

Thanks for that suggestion.

Connie, Great idea.

Marie, I did that several years ago, but now have too many cabinets under my table and can't use it that way anymore.

I have to check my bid on E-bay to see if I have been over-bid yet. If so, then I am going to look into a piece of plexiglass supported by something (cans or wood blocks have been suggested), with a light underneath. Inexpensive and easy to put out of the way.

I really love the ideas everyone has come up with!!!!

Archived