Considering buying a light box...any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about buying a light box to trace designs onto my quilt tops. One design I would like to make would be for a 30" X 30" wall hanging.

Using my LA table is out of the question because I have storage cabinets beneath it and don't want the aggrevation of moving them (also, no other place to put them in the small room).

Do any of you use light boxes? If so, which ones do you like? Are there any I should avoid? What is a good size? Where did you purchase yours? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Sandy

I would go as big as you have room for. My tiny one 11"x28" just doesn't do the job at times. So as Heidi mentioned I too use my LA table top I put two night stand sized lamps under there and away we go. It makes it so much easier to flip a whole top across it and mark. When I do this the storage boxes get moved out and then back when done.

That's a neat looking light box, JoAnn. No worries about room for a light underneath!

If you want to improvise, you can get a piece of acrylic or glass the size you need and secure it over any safe/rigid suspension you can find. I have used my dining room table with the leaf removed and pulled as wide as it will go. I put an Ott light underneath on a box. I've also used two ironing boards to hold the acrylic sheet. Just a thought.

If you google search as well, you can find ideas on how to make yourself a portable light box for cheap. My husband made one for me, using a large semi clear plastic storage container, a used cord with a light socket on the end, one of those new coil type light bulbs, sealed the bottom which was the top of the container with one of those large 'For Sale' signs with some duct tape no less ;) (mans best friend). The light cord has one of those on/off switches on it. I just flipped the tub over, plug it in, click on the little switch and presto. Very light weight, portable, and whatever size bin you may have kicking around the house. Mine used to hold the rolls of Christmas paper. Only about 4 to 6 inches deep.

Hope this helps, as a cheaper alternative.

Debbie

Sandy: I built my own. It's about 27"x27" and is mounted to the wall with hinges that allow it to drop down. It has gate legs that swing out and support it when it's in use. I used three 24" florescent lights to light it. The top is made from 1/4" acrylic, and I put freezer paper on the acrylic as a light diffuser.

The gate legs allow you to sit at the table with your legs under it. The top is angle down slightly like a drawing table, to provide better visibility and easier access. The unit extends from the wall about 4" when it is folded down. Good luck. Jim

Thanks for all these wonderful answers!!!

Cheryl: I don't have any computerized system, so that's not an option for me.

I do have the clear table and several years ago used it with a few lamps underneath, but now I have 2 back to back rows of plastic cabinets. They would all need to be relocated - all 18 of them. I would have to carry them up a flight of stairs to the living room while I used my LA table as a light box. I do not have any space at all to keep them in the same room as the LA is in. That is just too much of a PITA for me to do.

I love your idea, Jim, but have no wall space left and can't do anything like that myself.

Also, no glass top tables in the house, but that would be really a sweet idea!

JoAnn - I just put a bid on that light table on E-Bay. Thanks! We'll see how that goes. ;)

If I don't get that light table, I might use one of your ideas to improvise one. I could use the plexiglass idea and build it right over my longarm table, unless it gets too high.

If none of these ideas work, I might be able to take down my kitchen curtains and use the center window, which is a large, stationary piece of glass. I would never have thought of this if I didn't read your improv ideas. Thanks!!!

Someone gave me a small lightbox, maybe 12" x 12", but what I realized I could do is get a piece of plexiglass, as large as I can handle, and tape the fabric to be traced right onto the plexiglass, then move the plexiglass as I trace.

Also, I've seen people use a large piece of plexiglass resting on cans or cups or whatever, with those round push battery powered lights under it.

Good luck Sandra an your ebay item. The one my husband uses all the time at his Tattoo shop is one that he made. Same ideas as above. He has it at a bit of an angle up in the back - so he doesn't have to lean over so much. You could always put yours up on books or boards in the back. Helps cut down on glare too.

I have it easy, I just ask him to draw things for me! ;);)

Thanks, Judi.

I love all the suggestions I am receiving. One gal sent me a U2U about the same E-Bay light table that is the same price, but it can be bought outright. I may look into that, too, but I really like Georgene's idea of the plexiglass on the "cans" or whatever will work for the elevation. This way there is almost no storage to worry about. I need a larger studio, but it is not in the cards just now.

Originally posted by Farmland Quilter

What circumstances would a person use the light box for if you have IQ? Just curious if I would use one for something.

I use mine for tracing appliqué shapes.

Another idea is to buy a cheap under counter light, I think they are less than five dollars. If you have a plexiglass extension table for your DSM just put the light under it and away you go!

Instead of plexiglass on cans you could use two 4x4's however long you thnk (12-24") on each side. You could even make them pretty by sanding them and painting them white. Then put the long "under counter" lights under the plexiglass and you'll have a nice setup. It would be solid.

You use these lights for lots of things. I use my big one (built into a table) in the garage with my stained glass projects. I use to have to make three copies of each pattern when I was working with my stained glass and now I have a program where I can print out the copies or put them on a flash drive and take them to Kinko's if they are really big. The smallest one (about 12x18) I use for tracing patterns for applique, etc. and paper crafting stuff.

DH took the guts out of an old scanner, put in a cord, socket, and low-wattage flourescent bulb. Works great for small stuff..the bed is 9 x 14 approx. Its lightweight and portable, plus stores easily without worrying about damage.

Archived