NQR -Mac user - how to resize photo to post on forum

I cannot find a way to resize photos on my Mac down to a small size to post on the forum. I have to resize on my Windows 7, using Paint, copy to thumb drive, then go to Mac and load the resized photos from the thumb drive.

The Mac is very challenging after using XP for years.

When I want to post a photo from my Mac, I follow these directions:

You need to EXPORT the photo to save it as a JPEG.

Cllick on the photo you want to export and then click on FILE, EXPORT.

Next, click on SIZE and then in the next screen, click on CUSTOM.

In the area that says MAXIMUM DIMENSION, change this to what you think will work. I usually change the size to 700 but I'm not sure if this is small enough for this form.

I then save the file in a folder that I know I'll remember and find (use this all the time to find your JPEG photos to post). Most times you'll have to then go into that folder and change the file name as it will save it by the camera number.

Once you do this several times, it does become easy. I hope this works for you.

I do the same in using EXPORT, but instead of custom, I use the medium distinction in two locations where it is offered. I usually export to my desktop and then trash the export after posting. I can always do another export if I want to post the same picture again (usually months later!)

I just went through the process to see what the options on the screen are:

File click EXPORT

Kind: click JPeg

Jpeg quality: click medium

Size: click medium

File name: change if you want to, I don't

click on Export button

In new screen: Save as: leave or type in the new title

Where: I put desktop or the file I want to find it in later.

click OK button.

Then I come here and post the picture. This is the graduation quilt I made for my daughter in 2008.

Hopes this helps you.

post--13461908251935_thumb.jpg

Peglu, you get the book (the designs are based on Italian marble floors), let the design roll around in your mind for months, then finally figure out what size to cut strips to sew in pairs, have the hubby or son cut out plexi templates to fit double strip triangles, cut and keep all in layout order--------OR just paper piece like the book says and I didn't want to!

Thanks.

Well now, I just might be able to do that! Lord knows that if there is an easy way to do something, I run the other way. Your way of doing it sounds like just my style. I don't do paper piecing because I think it is confusing. But yet, I have made complete quilts done with english paper piecing, which take years to finish. I could get a lot more done if I just took the time to wrap my head around the paper piecing thing. My mom says that I always take the long way around the block. I tell her that's how I stay so thin :P

Peggy

I assume you have the photo in your iPhoto library. If so, start iPhoto and select your image

1. under the File menu, select export.

2. on the pop-up menu, select file export, and for kind, select jpeg, size = medium and quality = medium

3.save the image somewhere - I have a folder called pix temp on my desktop where I put things like this.

4. attach the image to your email

The image I used to test this was originally 1.7 mb - WAY to big to post. After taking these steps, it was 49 kb.

If your photo isn't in your iPhoto library, you can import it into the library and then follow the steps above.

Being lazy, i just drag the photo to my desktop. Then I click on it, and it opens in Preview. In the tools menu you can resize to whatever size you want. It automatically saves when you close it. Then post as usual and add the pic from your desktop. One of the things I love about my MACs are that I don't have to click on a bunch of stuff like windows users do.

Archived