Leg for compuquilter

qfairy

I got a flyer from APQS and it shows a leg that attaches to the computer screen and is attached to the quilting table itself...I am cramped(got it right this time) for space and was wanting to know where I can purchase this item? Want to have all my ducks in a row when Tony arrives to install it.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about when you refer to a "leg for compuquilter" but I purchased a stand from Fry's Electronics (CompUSA also carries them) that my monitor stands on. My CPU does sit on the floor under my table. You can find a picture of this setup in the CompuQuilter forum - page 4. The topic is "Mousepad." I tried to get the picture to copy here but it wouldn't show up. I guess I'm picture challenged;)

I think I might have a picture of my setup in my webshot files - I believe I have a red & white rail fence quilt on the frame and you can see my stand.

Let me know if this is what you are asking about.

Mine is alittle bit primative but I like it because I can roll the cart to the center of the quilt when working on a smaller quilt. I have mine attached to a rolling cart. My computer lines are long enough for me to move it close to me when I need to. Also the cart holds the tools I need handy and are always there. Not the most cosmetic way but it works. This was a quick fix at the time.I purchased it from Linda Taylor not realizing it was designed to hold on the Square poles rather than the round we have on our APQS. This was my excuse not to have to send it back. My husband has an idea of installing a ceiling track system so I can get it above me and off the floor. Maybe someday his plan will become a reality. lolol Good luck to ya.

Hi Quilt Fairy and Tinkerbell 2 :),

Congratuations again on getting CQ - it's exciting !!

If by "leg" you mean a pole mounting system that mounts to your longarm table, here are those types of systems:

- Cyberguys.com, item # 111-0347 for $96.95

- for a good picture of the Cyberguys pole mount, see www.atouchofthread.net - click on Statler to see a picture of this pole system mounted to the end of a quilting table. This is the system you see in quilting magazines with Anita Shackelford showing the Statler

- also see a similar pole mounted keyboard and monitor holder designed by Jack Boersma of Boersma Sewing Center in McMinnville, Oregon

www.boersmas.com - click on Statler and see the picture of his system

Note: its not a good idea to place your CPU on the floor - Boersma's system comes with some kind of stand that mounts to the table to place the CPU off the floor. I don't know if the Cyberguys system has that feature. You could call A Touch of Thread and ask them.

I have mounted my screen hanging from the ceiling, midway above my table. My wireless keyboard and mouse is on a custom wood and plastic tray that we made. It fits over my bars and rolls with the quilt. It works well except for larger quilts I have to remove the tray and place it on a bookcase thats next to my table. On top of the bookcase is where I have my CPU. Other than those times, I can slide my tray to the place where I need it to start or re-start a sewing sequence, and look above me to see the screen. Ideally, you want to have the screen and keyboard controls in close proximity to the head of the machine where you are giving commands to pick up bobbin, holding your threads while tying off, running designs and inputing other function commands, otherwise you are walking to the end of the table, inputing commands and kinda running back to where the head of the machine is. This is expecially important/convenient when you need to restart a design at an exact location, or when you are placing designs in blocks across the quilt or corner designs at the opposite end from where you have your keyboard and monitor. I really like my ceiling mount and keyboard on sliding tray during those times.

The pole mounting systems look good and the users seem to like them. The only comment I've heard is that for king size quilts you have to move the pole arm out of the way. They say if you have a 14' table you would not have to do that. Just keep in mind that with this system or any other fixed mounting system that is at one end of your quilting table, you will have less convenience when using CQ. If you are going to use your CQ alot and want to make money with your system this can actually be a pain in the butt-tocks (can I say that? lol)

The ultimate convenience would be CompuQuilters touch screen mounted to an overhead sliding mount system, so you can slide the screen along the width of the quilt to use it wherever you may need it for starting and restarting a quilting sequence. With that system there is no mouse or keyboard - its all touch screen. After using CQ for years I'll tell ya thats the way to go, but I think a side or ceiling pole mount looks like the next best thing. I know its another expense - I'm just putting it out there. ;)

So . . . . my 2 cents worth is: think about what I've said here, consider your available space, your budget and look at ALL the options and pick the one that's the best combination for you. The most important part of all this is YOU ARE GETTING A COMPUQUILTER :P :P

If something here isn't clear, you can call me

All my best to you,

Suzanne Moreno

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

I just saw Tammie's set up. Thats a cool way to go too. Her point is she can get her screen and keyboard close to where she needs it. If I had a wider studio I and could not yet afford the touch screen overhead track (which I can't yet :(), I would go with something like what Tammie has.

Lets us know how you're doing - you're family now.

- Suzanne Moreno

cqdigi@charter.net

Digisuz, Do you have a photo of your setup so I can see it?? Thanks for all the info on the leg...yes, was wanting the one that attaches to the frame of my table, nothing seperate as there is no room to do anything on both sides of my table but walk around it. My room looked so big til Tinkerbell moved in there :)

Quilt Fairy,

Sure, let me figure out how to post a picture and send one of my studio for you to see the ceiling mount and my simple tray. The sites I gave you show a pole mount that holds your monitor, keyboard and mouse and at least one of those systems also comes with a stand that mounts under your table so the CPU can be off the floor.

- Suzanne Moreno

Hi Cheryl,

Only temporarily not available.

Stan devised the overhead sliding track system for a Dell touch screen that Dell no longer makes. He plans on re doing the overhead system as soon as he can take a breath from moving into the new facility. He estimates sometime next month. In any event the CQ program is designed to work with touch screen technology or mouse/keyboard commands. I'm so happy for you that you are getting a CompuQuilter. :)

Al the best to you,

- Suzanne Moreno

cqdigi@charter.net

Here is a picture of my CQ monitor attached to a ceiling mount. This is a computer mount intended to mount on a desk that we inverted and mounted to the ceiling. It swivels left to right, so I can easily see the screen wherever I am at the table.

- Suzanne Moreno :cool:

Digitizing for CompQuilter Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

Here's the simple tray we made to hold my wireless keyboard and mouse. Its made with wood and plastic that I had cut at a Glass-plastic shop. It fits overs my rollers and I can slide it to wherever I'm working.

- Suzanne Moreno

cqdigi@charter.net

Here is an overview picture which includes how I have my CPU on a bookcase next to my table. The wiring from the monitor goes down to the CPU from the ceiling. I've arranged my studio this way because it's kind of narrow. It's 12' x 29', but in one area its only about 8'wide.

- Suzanne Moreno

cqdigi@charter.net

Wonderful pictures of your studio, it is mag-na-feet...

But I am unable to attach anymore things to the ceiling I have 3 shop lights hanging above my table now. I look like a wire junkie but is do-able for me. Still searching the internet just for the leg that attaches to the side of the quilt table like the picture in my flyer I got from APQS. Others have sent me options but they were legs that flexed out and away. Would be more interested in just the one that you could just turn your monitor away from you, not so much up and down. Thanks for all the replies.

Q-fairy, here is a link to a stand that is at COMPusa online. I think you would be able to hook this up to the side rail and it would do what you want. The one I have was made for the square rails but my husband was able to use two metal pipes on either side of the rail to get it to work. Good luck!

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=297577&Pn=MetalArt_Jr_Monitor_Stand

• 4 weeks later...

Seems the only ones that carried what i was looking for was the Fry.com place. was exactly what i was wanting. got it all hooked up and running. Little vibration but can live with it to have it close enough i can see it. Thanks for all the advice on where to look for one.

Hi Tina,

I'll get that info for you and get back to you. We just got creative and used stuff we had . . . . ha ! :D I know that the swivel mount that you see in my pictures came from a computer mount that is intended to attach to a desk and hold your monitor and keyboard on a retracting arm. The base of that arm had the swivel. We took just the swivel and attached it to the ceiling. The extra piece of metal you see with holes in it came from a local home improvement store. We used it because the holes made it lighter weight, and it fit into the swivel end and worked to attach the monitor. I will get the specifics as to how this was all put together and get back to you. I have really liked my monitor mounted to the ceiling. Its easy to view and the swivel part lets me turn the monitor to face wherever I'm working.

Best Wishes,

- Suzanne Moreno

cqdigi@charter.net

Archived