Why two

Guest Linda S

Rita - some folks call it faux-trapunto, so yes, it's like having a base layer and then one for fluff on the top. You would use it especially on a quilt where you expect to do some heavy background fill quilting and leave certain motifs to pop up.

I forgot to say that I prefer the look of cut-away trapunto, but on client quilts, I'm not likely to do that. I'll take the time on my own.

Rita, ditto to Linda's comment. I do this to all my show quilts, it gives this beautiful definition and on appliqués, trapunto effect by doing dense background fills.

Use of cotton under wool to stabilize the quilt, over time wool will sag if used by itself for wallhangings.

It's definitely heavier.

I was disappointed with qd Wool & Hobbs 80/20 combination, prefer QD wool & qd cotton select

Corey

Hi all,

I don't usually post, mostly read all the info I can get from all of you talented LAQ and drool over all of your pics!

I was curious about the hype on wool. I just loaded my own quilt Ruby Sherbert with both Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs Wool, this is my first quilt done with wool. I haven't decided if I like the poofiness and thickness. Do you all layer it with another batting or can I quilt with just wool layer and get a less poofiness affect?

post--13461908316833_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all of you ladies.. I picked up a bit of info in each post.

quiltjst4fun

your pict shows exactly what I was thinking and wanting.. and haven't been able to get. the two battings tell why I'd want to use a stable batt under the puffy one.

Thank you ALL for the replies and most of all the help. will keep the pict in favs.

And that is a pretty stitching choice and pretty quilt to put it on!

Again,

Thanks to all,

God bless and keep all of you, make quilting easy to find stitches for, and all be safe and healthy.

RitaR

Rita there are several situations where I would use double batts. 1st if the quilt is going to be hung you need the cotton to stabilize the wool, which will sag over time in areas not heavily quilted. Also the cotton hangs out flatter than the wool does on it's own so it just hangs very pretty. The Wool is necessary to give the quilting definition but if you don't want a lot of puff then tease the wool into 2 layers and only use the thin layer on top. If it is a bed quilt I only use wool as it drapes prettier but I still get the definition.

Originally posted by quiltjst4fun

Hi all,

I don't usually post, mostly read all the info I can get from all of you talented LAQ and drool over all of your pics!

I was curious about the hype on wool. I just loaded my own quilt Ruby Sherbert with both Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs Wool, this is my first quilt done with wool. I haven't decided if I like the poofiness and thickness. Do you all layer it with another batting or can I quilt with just wool layer and get a less poofiness affect?

Yes. By all means you can use it by itself. Only on a show quilt would I use the two batts. For a bed or snuggle quilt I use one layer of either type. However my MOST favorite batt is wool.

Archived